MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Hard drives for capture

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Issko
Hard drives for capture
on Jan 29, 2007 at 4:59:37 am

Hi,

I am going to purchase the HD Suite soon and I would like to know if my Lacie D2 Extreme 800FW drives will capture HD video without dropping frames or seizing up or having a message coming up saying not fast enough drives?

I know that they won't do uncompressed HD but can I change M100 capture codec to a suitable HD format and edit on these drives? Or do I need to buy the FC drives or the new CalDigit 3Gb SATA array?

I do not have to edit or output in uncompressed HD at all, at least not in my initial changeover stage from SD to HD.

I will have Sony V1 and maybe a 25 with Convergent design HDV or HDMI to HDSDI box to get into the HD Suite. After that, it does not matter as long as the HD quality isn't compromised.

Thanks

David Issko

Return to posts index

nikolas t
Re: Hard drives for capture
on Jan 29, 2007 at 5:58:08 am

David,

I think DVCPRO HD is the best format for you if you are going to upgrade to the Media100 HD Suite. And this case your D2 Extreme will work. But you'll have frame drop and stability issue when you capture HDV from FireWire port, since FireWire video device and FW storage cannot share the same IEEE1394 bus. You won't have this problem with CalDigit (doesn't matter 2 drives or 5 drives) since it has eSATA host adapter card.

Using HC-Connect to convert HDV to HD-SDI, then capture with DVCPRO HD compression canbe a workaroud. Or you may consider HDe which lets you capture HD analog output from Sony V1.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Jan 29, 2007 at 6:32:51 am

Thanks,

I am hoping to buy the HD Suite for the long term. I understand about HDe but I wanted to avoid the upgrade. I plan on buying the Caldigit array (HD444) but not immediately, which is why I was hoping that my drives would work.

I know about the instability capturing HDV via fw, s that is why the convergent design box comes into play.

Thanks for your input. It was most helpful and I kind of thought as much concerning DVCPRO HD and the fw drives.

Can anyone else confirm or add please?

Thanks

David Issko

Return to posts index

nikolas t
on Jan 29, 2007 at 7:02:27 am

The datarate of DVCPRO HD is less than 14MB/s. Should be very easy for your FW 800 array. But do not daisy-chain more than 2 FW 800 external storage, or you will have very poor transfer rate.

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Jan 29, 2007 at 1:03:07 pm

So, if you are saying that a Firewire 800 can handle DVCPRO HD... then can you input DVCPRO HD
straight into Media 100 Producer through a firewire cable? I am too thinking of a slower route of
upgrading and it would be great if Producer could be the solution for now ... and HDe somewhere down
the road.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 29, 2007 at 1:07:24 pm

[Jack Shepard] "So, if you are saying that a Firewire 800 can handle DVCPRO HD... then can you input DVCPRO HD straight into Media 100 Producer through a firewire cable?"

Unfortunatley not right now. Maybe with a future update...

Return to posts index

topher944
on Jan 30, 2007 at 3:17:00 am

Hi Guys, Don't forget to check into the MacGuru's site. They have great products and super customer service. If you have the ability to assemble things yourself you can save a bundle and their performance speed is awesome. A 5 bay drive will utilize 1 sata cable into your sata control card. 2 bays will utilize 2. It's very expandable and been rock solid for me for 9 months. Best of Luck! Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]