MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Exporting M100 program

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KitExporting M100 program
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 4:34:17 am

I have a 10-minute edited program in a M100 v8.2.3 timeline that I want to upload to an FTP site so a client can watch it. My usual procedure is to Export From Edit Suite, to QuickTime Movie, using the H.264 compression option, set to medium quality and single pass. Is this the best setting to use if a reasonable rendering time is more important than highest quality image? Single pass seems to take about 1.5 hours for 10 minutes, while multi-pass indicates it will take 10 hours. (Can that be right?!?) If anyone has a simpler way for me to do this, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Also, once in a while when I go to play the Quicktime Movie after it's encoded, the video freezes part-way through and I need to encode the whole thing again. Any suggestions why this may be happening? I'm working on a G4 Dual 1 Gz running OS X 10.4.8 Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Exporting M100 program
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 4:58:47 am

I have had good results with Sorenson 3. Though it depends a little bit on the resolution your client
requires. Oftentimes I will post a 320x240 file with the bitrate at around 1200kbs. It is not super high res
but good enough for approvals and makes a reasonable file size. Or a 640x480 file as well with a reasonable bitrate. Also I suggest compressing the audio as well as that will reduce your file size. I use the IMA 4.1 one myself. Though once again it all comes down to the quality that is necessary to post...

As for the freezing -- I have run into that as well. My guess is it is a memory issue (ram). It seems to happen
when you are working with a file of any length. What I have done is exported a self contained file from MEdia 100 and then opened that self contained file inside quicktime pro which has basically the same compression options as inside Media 100. And exported it from there --- and it has never frozen.

Return to posts index

KitRe: Exporting M100 program
by on Jan 21, 2007 at 7:05:57 am

Thanks for the great advice! The Sorenson 3 codec gave moderately good image quality with a relatively small file - 250 MB for the 10-minute piece - so it was a good choice for uploading to the FTP site. Worked like a charm. And your method of exporting to a self-contained movie before encoding in QuickTime solved the problem with the freezing. Maybe you're right about it being a RAM issue. The post from mmfarms would seem to support that theory. Anyway, I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

mmfarmsRe: Exporting M100 program
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 1:19:40 pm

I have had the video freeze on export before, but it always seemed to happen whenever we tried to work on something else - like opening e-mail, or textedit - while it rendered. We learned to just walk away while it cooked...

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: Exporting M100 program
by on Jan 23, 2007 at 9:54:17 am

I usually export as either by ref or self contained, then I add it to a batch list in Cleaner, and convert to a wmv 256k Streaming file (288x216 movie size) - the only parameter I change is the gamma, which I up by 30% to accomodate for movies looking darker after encoding. Most of my edits are 5 minutes, and come out at about 10mb, which is really easy to put online or send to someone for a quick check.
(13MB file - 7 minutes footage)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved