MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

What can M100 Producer output through Firewire?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
What can M100 Producer output through Firewire?
on Jan 8, 2007 at 10:06:41 pm

If I run M100 Producer (which I don't own yet) to a deck via Firewire, what codecs will play in realtime through Firewire? Is it restricted to just the DV codecs (DV, DV25, DV50, etc.)? Or can I monitor legacy programs that I cut anywhere from 250kb to lossless and 8-bit uncompressed? (The particular deck I own is a DVCPro50 deck, which I would use as the interface between M100 Producer and the monitor.)

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: What can M100 Producer output through Firewire?
by
on Jan 8, 2007 at 10:19:23 pm

Producer can output all SD formats (or any mix of different SD Codecs) through FireWire.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 8, 2007 at 11:51:20 pm

[Floh] "Producer can output all SD formats (or any mix of different SD Codecs) through FireWire."

I got a hint that my post may be a little bit misleading. To clarify my post:
Media 100 Producer and HD can play back timelines with any supported SD codecs or any mix of supported SD codecs out via FireWire. The FireWire output contains a DV or DVCPro signal, depending on the selected settings. This means that all clips that are not in DV or DVCPro codec are converted to DV/DVCPro in realtime on playback and then sent over FireWire. Files in DV/DVCPro codec will stay in that codec without any additional decompression/recompression. So you can play out your SD timelines to DV and DVCPro over FireWire.
Note that DVCPro50 compression over FireWire is currently not supported in Producer or HD. It can be used as an acquisition or playback codec, but it is not supported natively over FireWire right now. But I would expect most DVCPro50 decks to accept DVCPro streams also.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 9, 2007 at 6:58:12 pm

Sorry Floh, more confusion in my mind! Am I right in saying that an HD timeline won't be converted to DV for mastering via firewire? Don't I have to re conform first in order to master via firewire? Previously with HD I could master to tape vie Composite to my DSR 20 but the picture quality wasn't brilliant.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 9, 2007 at 7:03:37 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Sorry Floh, more confusion in my mind! Am I right in saying that an HD timeline won't be converted to DV for mastering via firewire? Don't I have to re conform first in order to master via firewire? Previously with HD I could master to tape vie Composite to my DSR 20 but the picture quality wasn't brilliant."

Michael,

in Media 100 Producer you can play out SD timelines (NTSC or PAL) to FireWire/DV in realtime, independent of the codecs used in the timeline. The same is true for Media 100 V11.5.
If you have a HD (1920*1080) timeline you have to conform the timeline to SD first before you can play it out via FireWire on Producer and on Media 100 V11.5.
If you have one of the hardware systems (HDx or Aja except the SDe) you can play out a HD (1920*1080) timeline to SD via SDI or any other video output (not FireWire) in realtime though, without having to conform to SD first.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jan 10, 2007 at 4:56:37 am

Floh, you said that v11.5 also outputs HD through Firewire, in addition to Producer. So, does that mean if my HDx hardware fails, or I have to edit on location but don't want to haul the HDx breakout box, the AD-DA converters, etc., I can stil edit and output to Firewire with Version 11.5? Do my HDx boards need to be in there at all? (trying to understand the difference between 11.5 and Producer in this regard...). Thanks!

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 10, 2007 at 8:08:39 am

[Lawrence Marshall] "Floh, you said that v11.5 also outputs HD through Firewire, in addition to Producer. "

Actually I said (or at least wanted to say, maybe it still was not clear) that you can output SD (Standard Definition, PAL or NTSC) to FireWire in both Producer and V11.5. All StandardDef timelines with all kind of different supported codecs can be played out via FireWire directly. HiDef timelines cannot; they have to be conformed to SD first for FireWire output. For SDI output the HDx and Aja cards have hardware downconverters, though. So while it is not possible to play a HiDef timeline to FireWire without conforming you can play it to StandardDef SDI through the hardware downconverter.

[Lawrence Marshall] "So, does that mean if my HDx hardware fails, or I have to edit on location but don't want to haul the HDx breakout box, the AD-DA converters, etc., I can stil edit and output to Firewire with Version 11.5? Do my HDx boards need to be in there at all? (trying to understand the difference between 11.5 and Producer in this regard...)."

It depends on how your HDx board "fails". The Media 100 V11.5 software (the one that works with either HDx or Aja hardware) is locked to a board serial number. On launching the application it checks the serial number of the board and matches it to the encryption code you entered. So if you don

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jan 10, 2007 at 3:01:37 pm

Sorry... you did say "output to SD" dozens of times in your posts! Typo on my part... I heard the "can't output HD" thing loud and clear earlier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]