MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

2 ?s for Floh re Compressor/Bitvice

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher9442 ?s for Floh re Compressor/Bitvice
by on Jan 7, 2007 at 1:36:17 am

1. Both "by Ref" and "Self Contained" files fail in Compressor saying "codec not installed" Where do I get the codec and what folder should it be installed in. M100 822 QTPro6.5 Compressor 1.2.1

2. Am trying the bitvice trial download. Super Easy UI but am seeing a lot of vertical banding. Original timeline is 640X480 with no chance to redig at 720X486. Should I set Bitvice to 720 or leave it at 640. Dithering helps a little but still very noticable.

Thanks Again!
Chris K.

Return to posts index

PaulyGRe: 2 ?s for Floh re Compressor/Bitvice
by on Jan 6, 2007 at 10:38:28 pm

Hi,

Just for the record...I am not Floh.

But...here's my 2-cents...

BitVice is fantastic.....however.....

You really need to import a 720x486 file into BitVice. Take your 640x480 file into After Effects and render it as a 720x486 file. Then bring it into BitVice and crop your movie (this will turn your file into a rendered 720x480 movie), which will be usable in DVD Studio Pro or any other app you use to author.

Hope this helped a Bit (no pun intended),

Paul

Return to posts index

topher944Re: 2 ?s for Floh re Compressor/Bitvice
by on Jan 7, 2007 at 5:21:40 am

Hey PaulyG, Is this why I see a lot of vertical banding in the bitvice output when it does the 640 to 720 conversion. The program is 90 minutes. It's on a 733 machine. Any guess as to how long that conversion in AE will take? Any pointers on settings for AE? Thanks for your help! Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2007 at 11:22:30 pm

Hi,

I would use all 'best' settings in AE. And remember to render LOWER FIELD FIRST.

The 'banding' you are getting is because of the 640x480 file you tried.

I really am not sure exactly how long this will take on your machine. You really aren't adding any filters or anything that is time-consuming. I'd render it overnight....a 90 minute program should finish on your machine overnight....I think!

Remember, export 'by reference' from Media100 and bring that reference file into AE. Render at 720x486 lower field first. After rendering, crop your file in BitVice and make your appropriate settings.

Let us know how things went!

Paul

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2007 at 2:02:02 am

Hey Paul, Floh sent me some great instructions which you just confirmed. I tried a test and it looks quite a bit softer now. Is this natural? Do you know if I can get Compressor to recognize a m100 "self contained" or by "reference file". Compressor seems to handle the resizing much better than Bitvice (Although Bitvice has far superior colors)and as I'm running out of time, I'll sacrifice color over sharpness this time. I installed the transcoder in the library

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2007 at 4:01:57 am

Hi,

QUITE a bit softer? Hmmm...how strange. Do you have time to re-render with a 'sharpen' filter in AE? I am surprised that Compressor handles ANYTHING better then BitVice. Are you using STUDIO RGB in Bitvice? You definitely SHOULD (sorry I forgot to mention this earlier). NOT using this will give you a somewhat 'washed-out' look in your footage. If you have time left, try to re-render using the sharpness filter in AE.....try a test of a minute of footage. Adjust your colors (sometimes I like to enhance SATURATION or add CONTRAST) or whatever you are trying to achieve.

Curious...how long did your machine take to render all 90 minutes?

Let the re-rendering begin!!

Paul

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2007 at 4:39:28 am

Hey Paul, I can't thank you enough for responding. It's almost like "I'm not all alone"! Anyway, I only rendered a 1 min test which took 2 hours. I noticed that it appeared to be a field shift that caused the blurriness. I'm using a letterbox on the footage and noticed it had an edge that went "soft" from the orginal. With time running out, I haven't had time to do more AE testing. I was using studio RGB in BitVice - hence the superior colors there. I'm able to get close in Compressor and like hand grenades close is good enough! Do you know anything about the new m100 codecs with M100 HD that work in M100i? Supposedly they allow compressor to read "reference" and "self contained" m100 files without compressor crashing and speed up AE rendering times etc. Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2007 at 5:39:49 am

Hi Chris,

Wow...2 hours per minute? My gosh you are a patient man!

Unfortunately this is where my knowledge becomes guessing....and I don't want to give you the wrong information.

I am not yet working with the new Media100 HD system.

Floh.....can you hear this?

If I think of anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Paul

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2007 at 6:06:21 am

Thanks Paul, Best of Luck! Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: 2 ?s for Floh re Compressor/Bitvice
by on Jan 8, 2007 at 10:31:43 pm

I have read this thread with interest as I'm making SD DVD's from an HD timeline. Using BitVice, Compressor (for the audio I think) and Studio Pro 4 the results are reasonable but not that good, certainly compared to tape. I too am finding the colours a bit faded in spite of setting RGB and there are visible artifacts in certain circumstances. Could it be the downscaling to SD that is the problem? It certainly takes a long time (about six hours for fifteen minutes) but that doesn't worry me, it's the quality I am worried about. I am using double pass, VBR average 7.5, max 8.5, min 5.5. I suppose it's just the MPEG compression of DVD's but frustrating when I see the tape quality.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: 2 ?s for Floh re Compressor/Bitvice
by on Jan 8, 2007 at 10:35:36 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Could it be the downscaling to SD that is the problem? It certainly takes a long time (about six hours for fifteen minutes) but that doesn't worry me, it's the quality I am worried about. I am using double pass, VBR average 7.5, max 8.5, min 5.5. I suppose it's just the MPEG compression of DVD's but frustrating when I see th"

I would guess that if you are seeing problems they probably are related to the downscaling in BitVice. If you have the time I would suggest doing a short test using the Media 100s "Conform" tool and then feeding an SD signal into BitVice. This should produce excellent results, especially at settings as high as the ones you chose in BitVice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]