MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Picture quality FCP versus M100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
helmut
Picture quality FCP versus M100
on Dec 23, 2006 at 2:36:17 am

Is the image quality still any issue at all considering they both can use the same hardware i.e AJA? I know FCP has a more professional set up and does more but how is the software/hardware integration with AJA for example, which software can make better use of the board or is there a difference at all?

Is M100 just better for short projects while FCP is better for full length features? how many people are experiencing system melt downs when they are editing 2 hour projects?

thanks,
Helmut

Return to posts index

topher944
Re: Picture quality FCP versus M100
on Dec 23, 2006 at 5:42:24 am

My experience with M100 and FCP are just the opposite. I just finished a 12 hour program with M100 with 8 audio tracks and 2 graphics tracks and it performed flawlessly all the way through sdi out. Our FCP tends to move projects around, drop programs and have audio drift problems on long projects. We keep it because some clients ask for it, but when it comes to crunch time - it's M100 to the rescue. I'm sure others will disagree - but don't be so quick to count out M100. I have one project that started back on 4.5. The media has traveled from the original $7000 144GB scsi raid to internal ATAs and now to an external 2.5TB SATA array. Every clip has relinked - every time. It's been rock solid since the day I bought it. I'm thrilled to see the new blood Boris has pumped into the line. Best of Luck in your quest. Kind Regards, Chris K

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 23, 2006 at 11:00:19 am

[helmut] "Is the image quality still any issue at all considering they both can use the same hardware i.e AJA? I know FCP has a more professional set up and does more but how is the software/hardware integration with AJA for example, which software can make better use of the board or is there a difference at all?"

The image quality for digitizing is more or less the same; this is not an issue that should be problematic. The hardware integration in Media 100 is "better" than in FCP, I would say. Problem in FCP is that your settings are in various different places, and it is quite easy to miss an important setting in the first place that will cause headaches later. Media 100 has the advantage that they sell it as a complete system with software and hardware, including the correct drivers for the hardware plus the hardware settings all integrated into the Media 100 software.

[helmut] "Is M100 just better for short projects while FCP is better for full length features? how many people are experiencing system melt downs when they are editing 2 hour projects?"

I would not say that. We do everything from 10" commercials up to 3 hours primetime TV shows on Media 100, all without any problems. The systems are very stable, and what I have experienced is that it is much more convenient to edit long-form programs on Media 100 than on FCP since e.g. saving a timeline is MUCH quicker. In FCP you can only save your project, not individual bins or timelines
When we worked on a DVD-production for a German band some weeks back we had to re-edit a part of the show in FCP since a freelancer started it in FCP. Saving the project with a 80 minute timeline took around maybe 20-30 seconds in FCP each time, while a similar project in Media 100 would take maybe 2-3 seconds to save (on a QuadG5 system). While this may not sound like a long time it is quite annoying if you have to wait for 20 seconds each time you save your project.

There are probably some areas where FCP is stronger, but there are also areas where Media 100 is stronger. But Media 100 is definitely not limited to a specific kind of projects.

Return to posts index

marguu
on Dec 23, 2006 at 11:56:15 pm

Just thought I'd throw my 2cents in. I've been using Media100 exclusively since 1999. The only time I've ever experienced any problems or "meltdowns" was when my hard drive was antiquated and not capable of keeping up with the media100 system. Once I updated the hard drives, I've never had a problem, no matter what length of program I'm working on.

Return to posts index

helmut
on Dec 24, 2006 at 6:27:55 am

Thanks for all the input. I have read on here that several people install M100 on one drive and FCP on another, that would seem like the way to go.

Thanks,
Helmut

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]