MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

media 100 and Compressor

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marguu
media 100 and Compressor
on Dec 22, 2006 at 6:48:37 am

Is there a way I can export from media 100 directly to Compressor? I'm using v8.02, and Compressor does not show up in the export menu. If this feature is not available with v8.02, is it available in the newest media 100 version, which I am going to buy soon?

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: media 100 and Compressor
by
on Dec 22, 2006 at 8:16:06 am

You cannot export to Compressor directly. Instead you should use the "Export from Edit suite" as "By Reference", which is very quick and creates small files without recompression. This "by ref" file can easily be transcoded via Compressor.

Return to posts index

marguu
on Dec 23, 2006 at 3:37:26 am

Ah ha. Thanks Floh. "By reference". Will that be as good a quality as a quicktime movie? I am exporting and encoding a 1 hr 50 min. piece, which I want to jam onto a dvd-5. I already exported it as a quicktime movie (which took 3 days), and now I'm having trouble getting it to look good using compressor. This is the first time I've done this, so I'm not sure I'm choosing the correct min. and max bit rates.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 23, 2006 at 10:46:38 am

[marguu] ""By reference". Will that be as good a quality as a quicktime movie?"

Actually both by reference and "Self Contained" are the same quality as your digitized material. The by ref export relinks to your original media files, so it is only a reference pointing to those files. Therefore the file is very small, and exactly the same quality as your digitized material.
The "Self Contained" export does the same with integrating your media files. No recompression is applied, only the parts of your digitized source material that were used are copied bit by bit into a new file.
This 2 ways you will maintain the highest image quality.
If you want to go to DVD I would recommend using BitVice instead of Compressor for MPEG2 encoding. Plus (don

Return to posts index

marguu
on Dec 23, 2006 at 11:50:56 pm

Thanks again Floh, this is a great help. I checked on the BitVice, looks great, not sure that I can afford it right now though. Question: I'm going to buy a new system for my home office, as the system I own right now is staying in another location for a long job. If I buy BitVice for one system, can I use the same program on my other system, or will I be forced to purchase a second program? This information might be available on their website, I didn't really look.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 24, 2006 at 9:17:21 am

[marguu] "If I buy BitVice for one system, can I use the same program on my other system, or will I be forced to purchase a second program?"

As with most of the commercial software that is available, I think you only purchase the license for one computer. But I am not really sure about this; you probably need to read the EULA. Or contact the BitVice guys, they are very helpful.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 24, 2006 at 10:04:38 pm

Floh, could the fact that I am using BitVice straight from an HD timeline be the reason I am not over thrilled with the picture quality of the resulting SD DVD's? Is it BitVice or Media 100 doing the down scaling?

Return to posts index

marguu
on Dec 24, 2006 at 11:58:31 pm

Michael, that interests me too. I just worked on a project that was shot in HD, and I was given an SD transfer to work with. I thought the picture quality was not too great either. It seemed vaguely pixelated. I attributed this to the down conversion (thinking it always looks this way no matter what), but perhaps it is in the method or program used?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 26, 2006 at 11:41:59 am

You do mean the quality of the DVD don't you because I find the tapes, both HD and downconverted DV really very good indeed? DVD as it is really worries me, I am banking on HD to improve matters.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]