MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Will this configuration work?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo Mora
Will this configuration work?
on Dec 21, 2006 at 12:44:02 am

Hi everyone!

I have a Media100i XR v8.1.1 on a Dual 1GHz G4, 2 GB, 10.2.8 at home.

I want to upgrade to Media 100 HDe but want to wait for it to be Universal and also for the next generation of Mac Intel Workstations before I make any serious investment.

But I really need a new machine now for Working in After Effects and DVD authoring, the G4 is really slow.

So, I was thinking of upgrading the G4 CPUs with a Dual Sonnet 1.8Ghz card, the Media 100 to 8.2.3a and maybe

getting the real time HDRfx effects card.

Then I'll buy a new disk array and a new Quad Mac(don't know if G5 or Xeon,read on), then I'll share the array between the G4 and the new Quad maybe using Fibre Channel and install the Media100 transcoder on the Quad machine so I can work in AE with 'by reference' files from the disk array and speeding my renders in this way, also I hope to reduce the import times on the M100 side.

What do you think? Is this possible?

I'm planning to wait one more year, but I need to speed my workflow now!

Does anyone have a Sonnet Dual 1.8GHz card on a Dual G4 1GHz -Mirrored Doors-, working with M100? Do you think M100 will play nice with this processor upgrade?

Is it possible to share a disk array in the way I'm thinking?

Will the Media 100 transcoder work in a G5 Quad machine? Will the M100 transcoder work on an Intel machine?

Will the 'by reference' files work in the way I'm describing?

I'm planning to reuse the most I can with the future HDe system (disk controller cards, disk array, etc.)

Floh what do you think?

Am I overseeing something? Is there a better way?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Jj

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Will this configuration work?
by
on Dec 21, 2006 at 8:44:01 am

[Juanjo Mora] "So, I was thinking of upgrading the G4 CPUs with a Dual Sonnet 1.8Ghz card, the Media 100 to 8.2.3a and maybe "

I never used a Upgrade card with Media 100, so I am not really sure if they will work. I think when using it in a Dual G4 it should work, but as I said, not tested by me.
The upgrade to 8.2.3a and OSX 10.4.x will speed up some things, and you will definitely note a performance and productivity improvement. But there are still some performance limits, especially by the P6000 board. You can use the Software Codec, which will speed up many tasks outside Media 100, but it does not do anything for the Application itself. This is only used in Producer or the V10 and up systems.

[Juanjo Mora] "getting the real time HDRfx effects card."

I don

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
Will HDe work with later Intel Workstations and Universal software?
on Dec 21, 2006 at 2:00:39 pm

Floh,

Thank you very much for your very insightful answer.

The purpose of all this, besides increasing the M100i v8 performance, was to wait one more year before jumping into the HDe wagon.

Do you think that if I invest into HDe right now, later it will be compatible with the Universal version of the software and, with a newer workstation from Apple?

I wouldn't want to be stuck with an obsolete cardset!

I've seen with interest and joy the resurgence of Media100 under Boris, but given the company's recent history -i.e. Pegasus-844/X-, it would be very hard for me to get stuck with obsolete hardware/card architecture overnight.

Any additional thoughts please?

Regards,

Jj

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Will HDe work with later Intel Workstations and Universal software?
by
on Dec 21, 2006 at 2:33:35 pm

[Juanjo Mora] "Do you think that if I invest into HDe right now, later it will be compatible with the Universal version of the software and, with a newer workstation from Apple?"

The boards will definitely work with future MacPro systems; they are the same as the Aja Kona boards that are used for FinalCut these days, and they are PCI-Express based which is a very fresh format. I think this standard will be used for some time in upcoming Macs; especially since there is not really a new technology on the horizon that is expected to replace it anytime soon.
The Universal version is expected to ship in January as far as I know (I would not bet on January 1st, though). I would wait till the Steve Jobs Keynote, since I think we can expect some new MacPro announcments there...

Return to posts index

David C.
on Dec 21, 2006 at 4:03:34 pm

If you need speed and are willing to spend money on a Sonnet card, why not look for a refurb PCIe Mac, purchase HDe now and in a year upgrade to the Intel Mac? The cards are the same for the PCIe Mac's and the MacPro machines. Your projects and media will be compatible.

Dave

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Dec 21, 2006 at 7:44:20 pm

I was running 8.2 on a Mirror door dual 1gig.That machine now runs producer very happily however the best bang for the buck is a Quad G5 with either Producer or Hde. Once you have given this a try you won

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Dec 21, 2006 at 8:08:56 pm

I've got HDe on a Quad right now, and I'm loving it!

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
Thanks to everyone!
on Dec 21, 2006 at 8:33:29 pm

Thank you guys!

You've really helped me to make up my mind.

Regards.

Jj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]