MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Problems with Creating a Movie File

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
family tree video
Problems with Creating a Movie File
on Dec 19, 2006 at 11:25:11 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to create a movie file from one clip in the program I'm working on in Media 100. I followed the Media 100 tutorial and I was able to create a quick-time move file from the clip (using the "Export from the Edit Suite". I moved that .mov file to my desktop. When I click on the icon, the file plays beautifully through quicktime.
Here's the problem. I would like to burn the file to a disc so that I can take the disc and open it in another computer. I've burned a CD and DVD using my ITunes program. However, when I try to open it in another computer, I only hear the audio, no video. Am I way off base here? I'm not familiar with working with movie files so I don't really know what I'm doing. Is there some other way I should be burning the disc other than through ITunes? Should I be able to take that disc and open the movie file on another computer? My Media 100 software is in a Mac...I'm trying to move the file into a PC. Is that a problem? Should I be burning the file onto a CD or DVD. Does it matter? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just totally clueless on this assignment. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Problems with Creating a Movie File
by
on Dec 19, 2006 at 11:31:54 pm

Media 100 uses a special "Codec" to write their files. This basically is an extension to allow QuickTime to access Media 100 files. There is a software codec for Macintosh systems that allows reading and writing of Media 100 codec files on a Mac. Additionally there is a Transcoder for Windows (the iFinish Transcoder), that allows reading (not writing) of Media 100 codec files on QuickTime Windows. But only QuickTime versions before QT7.0 on Windows are supported. You can find the iFinish Transcoder on the Media 100 website under Supports, Downloads I think.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 19, 2006 at 11:40:21 pm

Floh,
Thanks for the very fast response. Are you saying I should download this Transcoder to my PC or to my Mac? I couldn't find the transcoder you were referring to on the Media 100 website. Thanks again.

Bob

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 19, 2006 at 11:46:01 pm

[family tree video] "Are you saying I should download this Transcoder to my PC or to my Mac"

If you want to play the clip on a Windows system without iFinish/Media 100 hardware you need the iFinish transcoder. If you want to play it on a Mac without the hardware you need the Media 100 software codecs.

[family tree video] " I couldn't find the transcoder you were referring to on the Media 100 website."

It is somewhere there under Support->Downloads. It is named iFinish Transcoder.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:07:35 am

Thanks Floh!

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Dec 20, 2006 at 2:53:22 pm

The ifinish Transcoder is here:

http://www.support.media100.com/KBSearch/kbDocument.aspx?id=201

As flow mentioned, the iFinish transcoder will allow a PC with quicktime 6.5.1 or older READ media 100 media files. Quick Time 7+ broke the transcoder, I doubt media 100 has plans to fix that on the PC as Media 100 no longer offers any type of PC Product.

If the PC you are sending this to has QT 7 or later, you must export out of Media 100 to an 'intermediary' codec, such as the Animation codec (great quality, reasonable file sizes).

to do this, Export from edit suite as you have been, instead of self containted, choose 'other' and click options, in the codec drop down find the animation codec, move the quality slider to best (if there is one, i don't recall and i'm not in front of my system) then click export. Exporting from Media 100 will take longer this way, but it should work on your other computer just fine.

HTH
~A.D.

Return to posts index

topher944
on Dec 20, 2006 at 5:25:26 am

Hey Bob,
If you just want to take the file over to a pc which also has Quicktime:
1. - just insert your blank media. (If your .mov file from M100 is larger than 700mb you'll need to insert a DVD - if it's 700mb or less use a CD)
2. - when the disc image appears on your desktop just drag the mov file to it.
3. - Now drag the disc image to your toolbar where your trash icon normally exists. It should now be a "yellow and black" circle similar to a radiation symbol. Just drop the disc image there and your mac will ask you what settings to burn the disc at. (If there is no symbol there - try using something like "Roxio Toast") and follow the previous steps. I believe you've had problems burning your file in Itunes because it's extracting the audio only from your mov.
4. - After the disk has succesfully burned, just take it to your PC.
5. - If your PC doesn't have Quicktime, navigate on the PC to the quicktime website and download it. The basic version (player only) should be free. Once it's loaded it should recognize and play the mov file without a hitch.
Don't be afraid to ask more questions - that's why we all use the cow. Best of Luck, Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 20, 2006 at 6:24:32 pm

Chris,
Thank you very much for the instructions. I just followed them and everything seemed to go perfectly except I don't have any audio when I play the movie through Quicktime on my pc. The video plays great...just no sound. I checked to make sure all volumes were turned up. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Bob

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 21, 2006 at 12:16:57 am

Chris,
I've figured out the audio issue. Everything is working properly now. Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Bob

Return to posts index

topher944
on Dec 21, 2006 at 4:08:58 pm

Glad to have helped, if at all. The members of cow have been incredibly helpful to me in the past. To help someone else is just a waying of thanking everyone who helped me. Happy Holidays, Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]