MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsIs it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:16:22 am

Media 100i XR 8.2.2 Mac OS 10.3.9 Boris RED 2.5

I want to do a comparison of some 8mm film footage that has been transferred with two different processes. I want to have it on the screen at the same time so the difference will be very obvious. So, a split screen came to mind but I don't know how to do it. I have the different clips digitized in Media 100. I have Boris RED and wondere if this combination would be able to accomplish this?
Any help appreciated,
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:29:40 am

Hi Jerome,

If it is a simple straight-down-the-middle splitscreen you want, the easiest way is to place the clips in the A & B video tracks on top of each other and do a Fast FX Wipe between them. Set the transition percentages as both 50% and choose horizontal, vertical or diagonal for the split.

Alternatively you could use RED to ovelay a cropped video track over the background, but it is a little overkill if you just want a simple effect.

K

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 5:23:31 am

Thanks for the quick response. Could you please add detail in the process?
I have 2 8 second clips. I have them lined up on over the other in A & B tracks. I dragged across the length of the clips for a trnsition then chose Wipe-FastFX, I highlighted the vertical box on the side. But, when I play it it only plays the A track in preview. i clicked the Trim Mode and it shows the the A & B tracks in 2 screens side by side. But I need some more step by step please.
thanks for your patience.
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:06:23 am

[Jerome Robbins] "I have 2 8 second clips. I have them lined up on over the other in A & B tracks. I dragged across the length of the clips for a trnsition then chose Wipe-FastFX, I highlighted the vertical box on the side."

Thats good so far. Now expand the edit suite window in transition mode (the triangle at the bottom of the edit suite), and set the transition from and to values both to 50%.
Go back to the timeline/Program mode and play back the transition. You should have a realtime playback of the transition. If you have an XR with the HDR board it should play at full quality. If you don

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2006 at 5:08:16 pm

Thanks Floh. I now have the split screen with each track playing in separate sides. Now for the fine tuning... Each track is playing its full frame video so there is an overlap of each that is hidden by the other half.

What I want to have is the full image of each track playing in its side of the window so you can see the comparison frame to frame as it plays by. Is there some way to compress the images ( I realize there will be some distortion)? or Can I move the center of each tracks image over to the left or right so they look centered in their respective sides of the screen?

Thanks, ,Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2006 at 6:57:55 pm

You can do that in BorisFX or Red. In the transition mode, click the rightmost transition selection and choose Boris FX or Boris RED from the dropdown menu. Now select "Customize" and set up your windows in RED. Scale them both to 50% horizontally and move them that you see both images. Make sure that your beginning keyframes are set to "Hold" mode. Apply to Media 100 and render.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:38:04 pm

Floh, I have been following this with interest. Can this be done with the humble Boris Graffiti?

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 9:12:13 pm

Hi Michael,

You should be able to do this with the "humble" Grafitti, no problem.

Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2006 at 9:30:00 pm

[Ben Heusner] "You should be able to do this with the "humble" Grafitti, no problem."

Actually you cannot use Graffiti as a transition in Media 100 HD, so it is not really an option here.

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 11:20:24 am

But you can do the same effect using Graffiti as a title instead.

You're right, of course about the transition part. :o)

Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2006 at 1:25:41 am

In Boris RED. I am so close but very frustrated. I have both movies on different tracks. I selected the top track, in controls i selected the crop, unlocked, set to half screen vertical. So now both movie tracks are on the left side of the screen on top of each other. they both run but you can only see one at at time by shutting the eye on one track. I want them to play on opposite sides of the screen. Right now the left side is black.

I know it can be done. Please give me a few more instructions.
Thanks

jerome

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2006 at 1:33:25 am

The crop would do more or less the same as the wipe. What you should do is to use the "Scale X" attribute in the "Position" Tab. Select V1, move the cursor in the timeline to the first keyframe and set Scale X to 50%. Then set "Position X" to the left, so that the V1 clip is on the left side. Make sure that the checkboxes next to Position X and Scale X are set to "Constant".
Select the V2 layer, and also scale it to 50% X-wise. Move x Position to the right, until you have both images next to each other. Make sure that everything is set to "Constant" again. Now you shold have both images playing next to each other; squished together but playing along nicely...

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 11:39:42 pm

Hi Jerome,

If you are happy to have the images "squished" horizontally, then the above effect can be achieved using the "Cross Stretch" effect in the DVE transitions menu, again set to 50%.

K

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Is it possible to use Media 100 to do a split screen effect?
by on Dec 26, 2006 at 5:41:45 pm

Could also do it using the "picture in picture" effect within Media 100 - if you shrunk the picture and placed it against black. Though it would become a two step process as you would have to reimport the rendered clip. And then build another box against that reimported clip.

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbinsresults
by on Dec 27, 2006 at 8:26:10 pm

Thank you all for your help and ideas.

Media 100 using the Cross Stretch transition at 50 % did just what I wanted with a split vertically doWn the middle of the screen. I spent a lot of time messing with the Boris RED but every little change took so long that it was too frustrating to wait as I had deadlines to hit before Chritmas.

thanks again,
I will get it on my website if you want to see it.

jerome

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]