MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100 SDe-HDe

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ TalbotMedia100 SDe-HDe
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 12:48:49 am

I'm a Media100i owner and am considering the jump to Media100 SDe/HDe. Can anyone out there comment on their experience so far with the new software and AJA hardware? I've put off the upgrade for a long time (still on Media100 7.5 and OS9) because it requires all new hardware (CPU, Raid, Rain Controller, etc.). I'd also like to know the pros and cons of switching to FCP vs. Media100. Obviously, I'd like to stay with Media100 because I know the system well and hate the idea of having to learn a new system, but am willing if the payoff is great enough. You can email me directly if you rather not post.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Media100 SDe-HDe
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 3:34:19 am

You can do what I did. Buy both Media 100HDe and FCP. Run them through the AJA board, on a dual boot system. Now I can edit on Media 100 HDE and learn FCP. Then edit on which ever system I choose.

I'm a little disappointed in the HDe system. Thre are little things that could have been made better. For example, the title tool Graffiti requires you to manually update to see your changes in the composite window. But the good outweighs the bad. The video quality is great, even in SD. The number of video tracks also is a plus.

Pros of FCP? More people know it than Media 100. Take a look at the FCP user group on the cow. On Media 100 it's either Floh or Kieran who have the most knowledge.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media100 SDe-HDe
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:13:02 am

as usual the question is what you want to do with your system.
But when coming from OS9 and V7.5 the new Aja-based systems will be a HUGE step performance-wise. Especially when working in SD you have so much more realtime power and responsiveness in the new systems, like the ability to use several video layers in realtime, very quick renderings for effects/transitions, much quicker import/export, more audio tracks and effects, a source/record viewer view. Plus many many small things that make editing much easier. Since you are already familiar with Media 100 you will be up and running very quickly, and you will gain a lot of productivity. I defintiely would recommend getting a HDe system, since I think the future is HD. It is not that much more money for the HD system, but it is much more future-proof.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved