MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Question about AJA Media100 Hardware

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JeremyG
Question about AJA Media100 Hardware
on Dec 15, 2006 at 3:58:25 pm

I am trying to help out a buddy of mine who is trying to wrassle with Media 100 and FCP. He is a long time M100 user and had to switch to FCP when p2 came along as more dp's were using it and it was an absolute pain to get the media into M100. Now, he has a dp that captures straight into FCP when he shoots and that has become a major pain as well. He wants to keep Media 100 but he is forced to also use FCP. With the new hardware from AJA, is it possible to have both NLE's on the same machine and use the same hardware? He's on a G5 PCI-X.

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Question about AJA Media100 Hardware
by
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:07:06 pm

I am not 100% sure about the PCI-X Aja hardware. It is said to work with the HD systems, but I never have seen it or received confirmation that it works. Maybe Dave can step in here.
It definitely works with the PCI-Express based Aja systems, so it should work with the PCI-X based versions also. The easiest way to switch between FCP and Media 100 is by having 2 different boot partitions in the system to avoid moving around the drivers manually.

One thing that could help is the fact that Media 100 HD can use P2 files natively, either from P2 cards/FireStores, but also when being captured in FCP; at least as long as they are recorded in a Media100-compatible framerate and resolution (1080/50i, 1080/60i or their progressive counterparts, and SD PAL and NTSC). These files will "fast import" into Media 100, meaning that no recompression is needed to be done. Only audio gets converted into new files, so you should be nearly instantly ready to edit the files captured in FCP, and e.g. to mix them on a timeline with other HD codecs in realtime.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:35:35 pm

Thanks, Floh. SO if I understand you correctly, if you have two boot drives, one FCP and one M100, he should be alright provided the PCI-X AJA boards do work?

The thing is is that the DP doesn't want to be constrained to Media100's frame rates, hence the dilemma.

Is there a particular AJA board that works with Media 100? Is it the LH or the Kona 2 or 3 (depending on your PCI slot config)?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:50:56 pm

[JeremyG] "Is there a particular AJA board that works with Media 100? Is it the LH or the Kona 2 or 3 (depending on your PCI slot config)?"

The PCI-e Aja boards that work are the Kona3, LHe and LSe. The similar PCI-X boards would be Kona2, LH and LS. The Kona2 is somewhat different from the Kona3, so I am not sure if this will work. I think that the LH is the one that most likely will work.

If your friend does not have an Aja board already (or even if he does and thinks about getting the software) I would highly recommend contacting Media 100 sales to ask them about their offerings; most likely it will be cheaper buying a board with software from them than buying a Kona board and the Media 100 software separately.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:34:50 pm

Thanks Floh.

The thing is he has the original Media100 HD hardware already. He would be swapping out the AJA board for the original hardware.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:47:59 pm

[JeremyG] "The thing is he has the original Media100 HD hardware already. He would be swapping out the AJA board for the original hardware."

You should know that the new software is locked to the hardware board serial via an encryption code. So you cannot simply exchange the HDx board with an Aja board and expect the Media 100 software to continue working. Defintiely give the sales guys a call...

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 15, 2006 at 6:16:13 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David C.
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:08:01 pm

We can probably help you. Give sales a call for more information. 1-800-922-3220.

Dave

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:36:42 pm

I'll pass the number along. Thank you all.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]