MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Export from After Effects to M100 codec with transparent alpha channel?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ajmetz
Export from After Effects to M100 codec with transparent alpha channel?
on Dec 15, 2006 at 12:56:10 am

Just a quickee...

How do I export a composition from aftereffects, to the M100 codec, and maintain a transparent background?
Atm, the background is just coming out opaque black.

I want to import the after effects video into my Boris FX timeline through M100, with it still transparent / having an alpha channel.

Boris FX 6.0.1
After Effects 5.0
M100 7.5
OS9

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
Re: Export from After Effects to M100 codec with transparent alpha channel?
on Dec 15, 2006 at 1:08:46 am

Have thought of an idea to negate the need to do this, and still achieve the visual effect I want.

But it might still be interesting for future reference to know if it's possible to import and export video with transparent areas in them for layering in programmes such as Boris and After Effects.

I can export still pict files from Boris, that maintain a straight alpha transparency in After Effects, for example. Just wondered if it was possible to do similiar with video, and maintain transparency when you export or import.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Export from After Effects to M100 codec with transparent alpha channel?
by
on Dec 15, 2006 at 8:27:57 am

You need to render into the Media 100 i codec with Alpha channel (Millions+ color), and you have to turn on RGB+Alpha (straight) in the output module settings. You can reimport the file into AE to quickly check if the Alpha channel is there.
Additionally (if you have done that already) I think there was a bug (or probably not really a bug, but a non-implemented feature) in the pre-OSX versions of Media 100 that did not hand over the Alpha channel to BorisFX when importing QuickTimes into Boris. The transfer from Media 100 to Boris with QuickTime movies is done with the Media 100 Transcoder which does not support Alpha channels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]