MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Need Advice: I just erased one of my hard disks!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo Mora
Need Advice: I just erased one of my hard disks!
on Dec 13, 2006 at 8:22:55 pm

Hi to everyone!

Under the stress and the heat of the moment I just selected everything in a FireWire 800 LaCie hard disk, moved to the trash and emptied it!

I can't just redigitize everything because the media files were 'wild' (ie. without TimeCode).

What utility or application do you recommend to try to recover the erased media?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Jj

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Need Advice: I just erased one of my hard disks!
by
on Dec 13, 2006 at 10:41:06 pm

Under OS9 or OSX? As far as I know it is nearly impossible to recover deleted files from an OSX drive due to the way files are located there.

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
on Dec 13, 2006 at 10:53:50 pm

Hi Floh,

I'm on a HDX, MacOS 10.4.8.

Yeah I know it's nearly impossible! As I write this, I'm using FileSalvage from SubRosa Software to scan my disk and see if it can recover anything.

So far, it has scanned 5% of the 500GB disk and has found nothing. SubRosa's website says there is a good chance of recovering some files with their long-names intact. So, I'm crossing my fingers and waiting for the best.

I'll post later about how everything goes.

Thank for your support!

Regards,

Jj

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Dec 14, 2006 at 2:57:55 am

I feel for you -- I did the same thing a year ago.

From my experience is that it is possible sometimes to recover it - though a pain in the neck.
If you did a secure empty trash they are unrecoverable ... if just a normal empty many are recoverable.
With Media 100 files though, I think you are out of luck as even if you did manage to recover them
the files names would change and they would never relink to your program.

From what I learned and went through, you can recover a good deal from a Hard Drive even on OSX.
However, the files will never be recoverable with the same names or in the same file structure. So say,
you erased a word file called newletter.doc. You could recover the file but it would end up being called
somethign like WordFile0004576896.doc.

I would recommend a program called Data Rescue (I believe they are on the second version). It recovered
a horde of files - though as I said their names were no longer the same.

Best of Luck,
Jack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]