MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SDI vs Analog

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944
SDI vs Analog
on Dec 8, 2006 at 11:52:50 pm

I'm mastering out a 12-hour series. Since the import material was all analog from beta sp/DVD/Vhs/Mini DV sources is there an advantage to mastering SDI vs Analog at this point. (ie Kieran pointed out that Analog signal is clamped legal and SDI is full range) It is going to a sony 500 digi beta deck as the master. Kind Regards, Chris K. P.S. I worked out the SDI signal question from the earlier post. My synapse were misfiring due to sphinctoral humidity that temporarily enveloped my cranial lobes.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: SDI vs Analog
on Dec 9, 2006 at 12:38:44 am

Hi Chris,

Speaking from a purely technical standpoint, SDI is the better option as it is digital and so represents the highest quality, however as media 100i is compressed it is hard to spot any real difference between analogue component using good quality, short, timed length leads and SDI.

If you are mastering a tape to send to another edit facility for further processing then it is handy to preserve the extra out-of-range detail (in clouds for instance) that is often lost via the rather brutal clamping in media 100, by going out SDI. If the master is for broadcast and you have no external legaliser, then analogue is often just a safer option.

Not really an answer, just an opinion!

K

Return to posts index

topher944
on Dec 9, 2006 at 12:55:39 am

Thanks Kieran, It was good stuff! Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

nickel
on Dec 9, 2006 at 2:58:33 am

[topher944] "My synapse were misfiring due to sphinctoral humidity that temporarily enveloped my cranial lobes."

Who cares about the SDI question? I want to know how to solve this problem!!!!

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Dec 10, 2006 at 11:08:51 pm

Glucose, the brain only runs on glucose.

As for SDI vs Analogue, you have probably made up your mind by now and that is great, but if I had SDI out from my M100, I would be using that, no question, but I would run a quick test recording onto my DB deck first. I would not expect to find any problems though.

Hope your project works/worked out perfectly.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]