MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Dead HDX in a Dual G5. PLEASE HELP!!!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo Mora
Dead HDX in a Dual G5. PLEASE HELP!!!
on Dec 1, 2006 at 1:24:56 am

Hi everybody,

today I was digitizing and went to get a cup of coffee, when I came back the Mac screen was dead but the deck was still running.

I thought the machine had gone to sleep and after moving the mouse and typing on the keyboard for a while without getting any results I noticed that the fans in the CPU were making a very loud noise, and the light near the power button was blinking twice every 5 seconds (more or less). I forced it to shutdown and restarted but the machine wouldn't chime (or make any sound) and after a while it starts blinking its light again, if I wait longer the fans start spinning again very fast and loud.

Any thoughts? I have a deadline (who hasn't) and my boss and one of the firm's partners are waiting for stuff that is in this machine, and they want it now!

My setup:

Media 100 HDX
Dual G5, with 1.5 Gbytes of RAM, MacOS 10.4.2
Two Internal hard disks and an external firewire 800 disk (I only use it for SD material)
UVW-1800 Betacam Deck
Flying Cow A/D Converter (Half dead)
Video Monitor, Audio Amplifier, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Juanjo.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Dead HDX in a Dual G5. PLEASE HELP!!!
by
on Dec 1, 2006 at 1:58:15 am

If the CPU does not start up at all this sounds not too good.
First, disconnect everything that is not needed, like FW drives, USB things except mouse and keyboard and whatever you have on the computer. Remove the power cord and wait some minutes. Then plug it in again and try to start up.
If this does not work, try removing pairs of RAM modules; maybe one of your RAMs has gone bad. If this does not work, get in touch with a Service Center...

Good luck

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
Re: Dead HDX in a Dual G5. PLEASE HELP!!!
on Dec 1, 2006 at 2:18:54 am

Floh,

thanks for your very fast answer.

I've already disconnected all the peripherals, and also unplugged the machine and plugged it again.

I'll try checking my RAM modules.

Thanks a lot.

Juanjo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]