MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Boris FX picture motion path - non flicker?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AjmetzBoris FX picture motion path - non flicker?
by on Nov 26, 2006 at 3:48:27 pm

Hi, I imported a jpeg into Boris FX 6.01, animated it the way I wanted, and then came back to Media100.

When I render it, it flickers.
In some shots of animated videogame screen shots, the flickering makes it look like certain elements in the picture are flashing.

I just went into After Effects and did the same, and had no problems. So I've achieved the effect I wanted to achieve, it's not hindering my work.
But it would be nice to do it in Boris FX and Media100 in future, so I don't have to leave the programme and go into After Effects.

My guess is some sort of anti-aliasing is going on, creating problems when things move. Or maybe it's a lower field / upper field thing. But then it's a still picture imported, not footage, so I don't have those options in the media panel.

Interestingly, if it's just a still image, non-animated, it doesn't flicker in the Boris Preview, but does when rendered.

And FYI both images were scaled up a couple of hundred percent.

I have Media100 7.5 in OS9,
G4 Dual 400 Gigabit Ethernet
Boris FX 6.01

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Boris FX picture motion path - non flicker?
by on Nov 29, 2006 at 6:43:45 pm

Hi Ajmetz,

The problem is interlace noise as you suspected. It can be solved by engaging the "1:2:1 deflicker" option in the local project settings of the Boris Preferences pane. The picture gets a little softer but you lose the flicker.

In some cases I find the softening actually improves the feel of the picture.

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved