MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

BVW-75 machine control?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derryl RiceBVW-75 machine control?
by on Nov 23, 2006 at 6:36:51 pm

Hello, does anyone know the proper method to control a Sony BVW-75?

The first thing I tried was using a Keyspan serial adapter to connect the rs-422 to the back of the BVW-75 via the mac USB. On the Media 100 under hardware set-up, the choices are no hardware control, DV control and TimecoderXM100.
In the manual it cops out and says to use external VTR control see the online peripherials list which was even vaguer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Media 100 8.2

Return to posts index

Juanjo MoraRe: BVW-75 machine control?
by on Nov 23, 2006 at 8:36:24 pm

Hi,

you just need to select TimeCoder and make sure the port number where your control cable is connected to the keyspan is the same you choose when you configure the TimeCoder dialog window.

Then in digitize mode you can control your Betacam deck from the keypad and also you will be able to Master To Tape in Insert and Assemble Modes with almost perfect precision, if you need your edits to tape to be frame-accurate you'll need to pre-stripe the tape with blacks and the time-code you want to use.

HTH,

Regards,

Juanjo

Return to posts index

Derryl RiceRe: BVW-75 machine control?
by on Nov 23, 2006 at 9:08:18 pm

Thanks Juanjo, I did as you suggested. After setting to TimeCoder and hitting configure, I was able to select the Keyspan by its model number. I assume for DV control I select 'none' (I tried them all with no success).

I still get an error: "Device Control Problem. Make sure the desk is connected to the selected port and is turned on."

I have used this Keyspan adapter with a GPS so I am sure it is working correctly. Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2006 at 9:34:22 pm

Hi,

just make sure, when the dialog to configure TimeCoder appears, that in the pulldown menu you're selecting the correct port on the Keyspan (they usually have two ports) and that the port is connected to the cable that goes to the Betacam machine; I don't remember right now if the BVW-75 has one or two 9pin RS-422 ports, but if it has two make sure that your cable goes to the one labeled 'input'.

Then make sure the deck is on, with a cassette in it and the control setting in the front panel is set to REMOTE instead of LOCAL.

If this doesn't work you may have a deffective Keyspan (probably not your case) or a defective control cable.

As for controlling the DV deck, the setting is DV Control and in the second pulldown menu you select the Make and Model of your DV deck or Camera, just make sure that the firewire cable from the deck is connected to the firewire port IN YOUR Media100 CARD, not on the ports of the Mac.

If your card doesn't have a FireWire port then you don't have installed the DV option that allows your system to work with the digital signal directly; you will need to use the analog outputs of your deck or camera and digitize without timecode and deck control. The other option is to get a more expensive DVCAM or DVCPro deck with analog outputs (component) and 9-pin RS-422 control and use TimeCoder to control it as if it were another Betacam deck.

Regards,

Juanjo.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2006 at 9:37:12 pm

Another option is to get the latest Keyspan drivers for your model of Keyspan and version of MacOS, and reinstall the Keyspan.

Regards,

Juanjo.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2006 at 10:11:44 pm

Juanjo, I have confirmed these things but still an error message.
- In the TimeCoder pulldown the correct port is selected.
- I have the lastest drivers for the Keyspan
- It is connected to the rs-422 IN port
- The deck is set to REMOTE1 9 pin (This is how the AJA/FCP setup requires it and machine control works well in that senario)
- I have the DV option for the M100 but BVW-75's don't have firewire control, that's why I am trying to control it with the serial cable.

Thanks. -Derryl

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2006 at 10:48:34 pm

Hi,

Beats me. Sorry!

Anyone else?

Regards,

Juanjo.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: BVW-75 machine control?
by on Nov 24, 2006 at 12:17:23 am

Definitely use TimeCoderOSX with RS422 cable, and set it up to use your keyspan box and the correct port. Make sure that your cable is connected properly, no pins are bent and your deck is set to "Remote" on the flip switch on the right side of your front panel.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2006 at 3:00:17 am

If you have been able to get this to work, can you tell me which model of Keyspan adapter you used? ie: US-19 or RS-422 to USB or ?? Is there something else available besides the Keyspan model? Thanks. -Derryl

Return to posts index

FlohRe: BVW-75 machine control?
by on Nov 26, 2006 at 2:52:22 pm

The twin serial adapter. The US-19 is RS232 only, and Beta decks (except some UVW models) have RS422 ports.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]