MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Hot running G4

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944Hot running G4
by on Nov 17, 2006 at 7:57:49 am

I've noticed a good deal of heat coming off my G4 dual 1.4. Is this anything to be worried about or is it normal? Any negative effects for my M100 card? Should I run it with the side cracked open - or is there an additional fan I can install or a heat sump? Kind Regards, Chris K

Return to posts index

BrucemacRe: Hot running G4
by on Nov 19, 2006 at 12:57:43 pm

Hi Cris
Yes this is a known problem with dual 1.4's. What i have done with mine is a little extreme, but works well. I have removed all the drives from the tower and put them in external hdd cases. this removes the restrictions to the airflow inside, and cuts out the heat generated by the drives themselfs
This should be enough to sort it out.
Also make sure that the preforated intake grill ( inside, behind the four finger holes on the front) is absolutely free of dust and lint.
I also fitted two small fans here from a pc overclocked cooling system and took out the now empty hdd cage - you can leave in the back cage with one drive in it as this assists the air to go via the heatsink fins arround the processor.
The big fan inside normally runs resonably quiet but there is a thermal system which triggers the fan on flat out if the processor gets too hot - the trick is to make sure that the air can get in and out, so keep the airways free and the tower away from the floor.
Do Not open the side door as this will stuff it up - not fix it.
TMHO this was the reason Apple redesigned the G5's with such a good cooling system for the subsequent models....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved