MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack ShepardDrives
by on Nov 9, 2006 at 12:39:38 am

What drives/RAID is everyone using with HDe?
I've seen posts where people have brought up specific ones but I just though I would ask
the question straight up...
Looking for it to be fast enough to handle HD but mainly used for SD - and hopefully on the inexpensive side.

Also is the AJA board compatible with Final Cut/Avid? In other words, could I import and export
from them using the AJA board?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Drives
by on Nov 9, 2006 at 3:18:18 am

Hi Jack

I don't know about Avid, but FCP is certainly compatible with the AJA card. The only issue is the FCP & Media100 drivers conflict so you can't have them installed at the same time. You get around this by making your system dual boot, with a separate OS install for each config.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Drives
by on Nov 9, 2006 at 3:31:12 am

I see. That's a good call on the dual boot. Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Drives
by on Nov 11, 2006 at 9:51:09 pm

I have been investigating the drives issue for some time now. It depends on who you speak to and what they have to sell.

First and foremost 4Gbit Fibre Channel SATA drives in say a RAID (5 maybe) would be great but very costly for 5 to 8Tb to ensure a reasonable amount of 10 bit uncompressed HD. Of course you can start with a smaller setup.

Then there are the non fibre channel 3Gb SATA drives from companies like Caldigit (who advertise here). All reports are very positive and the feedback from users praise the company for its product quality and support. The drives come in various setups.

The "downside" is that the 3Gb units are restricted in their RAID configurations while the FC units have greater RAID choices.

I am still looking into both options as I want to upgrade to HD Suite once M100 is Universal Binary compliant in early 2007.

If anyone can help us, that would be great.

Return to posts index

jack ShepardRe: Drives
by on Nov 12, 2006 at 2:43:54 pm

Thanks a lot for the post...
Just to improve my knowledge... what would be the difference in Raid configurations... or rather the limitations if you got the Caldigit?

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Drives
by on Nov 13, 2006 at 12:59:24 am

With Caldigit, the RAID configurations are 0 for performance, 10 for protected or a concatenation of disks commonly know by the acronym JBOD (Just A Bunch Of Disks), which is the disks combined together to create 1 large capacity drive.

The FC style disks can have many more RAID configurations, depending on the vendor, including RAIDs 3, 5 6 and more.

Lots more to it but this is just a very brief overview.

Take a look at Caldigit's website as it really seems to be exactly what I am looking for at least. Maybe it may suit your requirements as well.

All the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved