MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

setting up a raid Media 100 Hde

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregsetting up a raid Media 100 Hde
by on Nov 5, 2006 at 8:02:20 pm

I'm putting together my new Hde system. I installed a host card into my mac, and attached the sata drives with their enclosure. I will be ataching an additional SATA drive to this host card. I'm not sure how to set up the raid for this system. Do I set it up as striped? Mirrored?

Do I use OS Extended or journaled? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

PowerMac G5 Quad Caldigit S2VR 500GB SATA, G-SATA 320 GB drive and Fasta 4-E Host card.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: setting up a raid Media 100 Hde
by on Nov 5, 2006 at 9:09:21 pm

Hi,
Sorry I can't be of any direct help to you but are you happy with the Caldigit HDDs?

It seems that 500Gb may be too small, I don't know.

I am looking to get HD Suite once M100 is UB and I will go for a Mac Pro. I have 8.2.2 on my dual 2GHz G5 that works a treat. The Caldigit Pro SATA setup looks so nice (from an uncompressed operational viewpoint) and seems to be a great solution at a reasonable price.

If you or anyone else has some feedback on Caldigit with M100 and high end HD like HDCAM - or anything HD, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

And by the way, my best guess Greg is Extended. I hope you find your solution quickly.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: setting up a raid Media 100 Hde
by on Nov 6, 2006 at 7:36:55 am

For a RAID system you should use identical drives. If you want to work in uncompressed HD you would need at least 4 drives (probably more) striped as RAID 0 without journaling. Jpurnaling gives some additional data protection but slows down write access to the drives.

Return to posts index

GregRe: setting up a raid Media 100 Hde
by on Nov 6, 2006 at 3:16:50 pm

Thanks Floh-

I'm working with Beta SP and Mini DV only. Do I still stripe them as raid 0 no journaling? Thanks.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the HDe junction box with my decks and monitor. The box came with a multipin cable that has numerous BNC Yrb and Yrc cables and some audio cables attached plus a Rs422 cable. Do all of these cables attach to my beta Deck (minus the AES audio cables I suppose)?

Are these the inputs and outputs I need for my beta sp deck? Then what are all of the connections in front of the junction box for? Lastly how would I incorporate an audio mixer and NTSC monitor into this set-up? Thanks.

Greg

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2006 at 3:20:11 pm

[Greg] "Also, I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the HDe junction box with my decks and monitor. The box came with a multipin cable that has numerous BNC Yrb and Yrc cables and some audio cables attached plus a Rs422 cable. Do all of these cables attach to my beta Deck (minus the AES audio cables I suppose)?"

You either use the Breakout Box with the cable that has the multipin connecitons on both sides, or you don

Return to posts index

GregRe: setting up a raid Media 100 Hde
by on Nov 6, 2006 at 4:19:42 pm

My monitor has standard BNC inputs. I'm not sure I understand, Why would I not use the multipin? Is it possible to use a combination? Does the multipin connect directly to the deck? Can I use the front audio inputs and outputs to connect to my Mackie Audio mixer?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2006 at 4:24:52 pm

[Greg] "My monitor has standard BNC inputs"

Yes, but what signal? SDI? Component? Composite?

[Greg] "Why would I not use the multipin? Is it possible to use a combination?"

Look, you have one multipin connection on your HDe/Aja board. Either you use this multipin connector to connect the breakout box to the board with the supplied multipin/multipin cable, or you use the multipin to BNC/RS422/XLR connector cable and you forget the breakout box. You cannot use both at the same time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]