MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Archive and Install With Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
qcostelloArchive and Install With Media 100
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 5:56:05 am

I just did a pretty kamikaze update from OS 10.3.9 to Tiger. The first few times I did it it said the install failed so I tried doing the archive and install which got me up to the fourth install disk before reporting another failure. It made me reinsert disk 2-4 again and I was able to boot up in Tiger with god only knows how many backup systems clogging my main drive.

When I went to start media 100 I got the kext error. I re-installed the program and it gave me an error saying that I couldn't get going because there was no recognized serial drive. Curiously, this problem went away and I'm able to run my Media 100 program now. Thing are running a tad strangely overall, though.

My question is- are there a lot of horror stories to using this archive and install function with Media 100? I really don't want to wipe my drive and start from scratch but that's what I'll do if you're privy to any big problems. Thanks as always for all the great advice.

Quinn

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Archive and Install With Media 100
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 2:44:46 pm

Speaking from experience buy a new drive for your new OS (it's cheap insurance) and do a clean install Tiger will pull your info off of the old drive if you want it to during setup. You also have a second drive you can clean off when you get everything the way you want it on the new one.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

qcostelloRe: Archive and Install With Media 100
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 5:43:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I appreciate it. How does one go about telling the installer to use the settings for the other disk? Also, will I have to reinstall all my apps? Will the computer still recognize my M100 hardware? Thanks again.

Quinn

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Archive and Install With Media 100
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 3:36:53 am

When the OS asks you if you want to copy your info from another MAC point it at the old drive you can copy all your aps etc. Some of them will have to be reloaded or updated for the new OS.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

jimmy macRe: Archive and Install With Media 100
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 3:26:06 pm

I had to do an Archive & Install on a G5 a few days ago with the help of Apple Care. I went from 10.3.9 to 10.4. I have the 10.4 install disc for Tiger, which is what I used. THAT's where the problem is - it doesn't like 10.4. I couldn't even get online as it wouldn't recognize my router. I have more than one Mac, luckily, and downloaded 10.4.6 (do NOT go higher), which I then installed on the G5 that I was updating (the one with M100). Everything was fine. What a huge relief....all it was, was the 10.4 version.

Return to posts index

qcostelloRe: Archive and Install With Media 100
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 11:07:43 pm

Thanks to everybody for the great advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]