MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

new mac G5 quad questions

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ballnew mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 2:52:10 am

I'm building my new Hde system on a refurbished G5 quad.

I installed an airport extreme card but it's not finding my wireless network. My G4 laptop finds the network fine. Any thoughts as to what to do?

I installed a second internal sata drive. It does not show up on the desktop or in disk utilities. Any suggestions here?

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: new mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 5:44:18 pm

Hi Greg,

Regarding the SATA drive, did you manage to locate the power cable for it? Your previous posts suggest that you only had the data cable in the bay. If you have, check that both cables are correctly seated in their sockets on the motheboard/psu loom.

As a more extreme test, you could swap the data connections to the two drives (the factory installed boot drive & your new one) and try booting. If the machine boots but doesn't recognise the new drive as before then it is a problem with the drive itself. If it doesn't find the boot disc/boot normally then it is probably a problem with the leads etc. Also if it doesn't boot, reboot from the OSX install CD/DVD and use disc utility from there - it will at least verify if the machine can see the drives.

As for the Airport card - I have no idea. Does system profiler/"about this mac" see the card? Does the network utility allow you to configure airport, or is it greyed out?

K

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: new mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 7:18:47 pm

Thanks Kiernan,

Yes I located both cables...I actually got a replacement for the other reburbished Mac. I'll check to see if they are connected on the mother board.

For the airport extreme, yes the system profiler sees the car, but the card does not find my network. I can configure it, nothing is grayed out, but the strange part is I see references to an antenna that just does not exist in the Mac.

I'm building my suite in my (former) living room in my house, and thus there is no phone line. I was hoping to connect the Quad to my home wireless network. Some further investigating indicates that the G5 needs a Blue tooth airport card that must be professionally installed.

I'm wondering if there's any other option.

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: new mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 7:25:06 pm

The G5 Airport antenna mounts on the back of the G5. It's a small T-shaped thingy. I think all G5s came with the antenna even if they didn't have the Airport card installed, which might be why the Airport card you bought didn't include one.

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: new mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 9:22:28 pm

Thanks but there's nothing on the back of the G5. As a matter of fact, we just bought a G5 for a corporate client and they do not have an antenna on theirs either.

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: new mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 28, 2006 at 3:46:16 pm

Yes, that's my point. The G5 has a socket on the back into which you plug the Airport antenna. No antenna, no Airport connection. See this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86411

Return to posts index

gregRe: new mac G5 quad questions
by on Oct 31, 2006 at 1:33:55 am

No antenna socket on back. Apple says there is no longer an antenna for the late 2005 G5 Quad. any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]