MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Which Media 100?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David IsskoWhich Media 100?
by on Oct 20, 2006 at 10:10:35 pm

Hi all,
I will be upgrading from 8.2.2 to HD early next year.
I will be buying a new MacPro and while the vast majority of my work is still SD (but 16:9), I need to digitise footage from 4:3 VHS all the way up to HDCAM but not necessarily in the same project.

I will have SD and HD projects to complete. Therefore I need SD and HD inputs and outputs.

So, my question is:
Media 100 HDe OR HD Suite?
I read that HD Suite had HD input capabiliy only whilst the HDe has HD & SD in. I prefer HD Suite for its overall capabilities but if I am editing an SD project, how do I digitise the SD material in HD Suite?

Also what drives do you use for uncompressed HD?

I hope you understand my question. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Which Media 100?
by on Oct 20, 2006 at 11:40:54 pm

[David Issko] "I read that HD Suite had HD input capabiliy only whilst the HDe has HD & SD in. I prefer HD Suite for its overall capabilities but if I am editing an SD project, how do I digitise the SD material in HD Suite?"

Both HDe and HD Suite have SD capabilities. Here is a comparison between the different options. The Main difference is that (aside from bundling Boris Red with HD Suite) that the HD Suite has a SD to HD upconversion board (you can acquire SD material in realtime into a HD standard), which is missing from the HDe. HDe on the other hand has analog inputs (Composite, S-Video and HD/SD Components), which are missing from Suite. But both systems can work in SD as well as in HD.

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Which Media 100?
by on Oct 22, 2006 at 11:11:17 pm

Thanks Floh. Although I am aware of Media 100's web site, I find the is no explaination as how one would go about digitising say a time base corrected VHS clip into HD Suite as a 4:3 SD clip.

As you know this is a snap in 8.2.2 via the analogue (S-Video for instance) inputs but with HD Suite having HDSDI input only, I am very confused.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Which Media 100?
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 1:25:13 pm

You would need to get an analog to SDI converter as HD Suite only inputs SDI. AJA makes those as well.

You would also need to find analog audio to Digital Audio converter, as HD Suite only inputs AES/EBU audio (or embedded SDI audio).

~A.D.

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Which Media 100?
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 10:39:01 pm

Thanks Arthur,
I thought as much.

How's the towel?

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Which Media 100?
by on Oct 26, 2006 at 6:02:47 pm

"How's the towel? "

Couldn't tell ya, I've long since retired from Hitchhiking.

~A.D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]