MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

which PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ballwhich PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things
by on Oct 15, 2006 at 12:18:43 am

Well, I finally hot my mac G5 with Media 100 HDe and FCP HD, Now the fun starts

First, the refurbished Mac G5 Quad does not power up. I reset the SMU still no power. Any thoughts? I installed additional ram (4 GB) and also a second internal hard drive.

Second, it only looks like there's one cable that connects to the second internal drive. Could that be possible?

Third, I bought an airport express card for the Mac. I installed it but it didn't come with an antenna, nor is there anything that looks like an antenna cord in the Mac. Is there supposed to be one?

Last, does it make any difference which PCI-e slot I put the AJA card in? How about the SATA card?

I'll probably call Apple Care tomorrow, but thought somebody here may have an idea. Thanks. I'm pretty excited about this system.

L

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: which PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things
by on Oct 15, 2006 at 1:45:35 am

Hi Greg,

Re: the Quad - pull the new RAM, see if it boots, it could be a RAM issue. Do you get any signs of life from the PSU (i.e does the power light come on etc) or is it completely dead ? If so the issue could be a dead PSU/fuse etc. Let us know some more details!

re: the hard disk. The Quad G5 is SATA isn't it? In that case there should still be two cables - a 7pin SATA cable and a 15pin power cable. It shouldn't be the cause of the non-powering Quad though.

re: slots, AJA card in 4 (furthest from graphics card, SATA in slot 2 (next to graphics card) - that's from the new CPG on the media 100 website.

As for the Airport Express card, I THINK that it doesn't require an antenna, but I might be wrong!

HTH

K

Return to posts index

gregRe: which PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things
by on Oct 15, 2006 at 4:08:03 am

Hi Kieran-

No, there are no signs of life from the computer. No light. When I plug it in I hear a click like there's some connection..but nothing happens.

This computer is a refurbished computer direct from Apple.

In the computer I only see one extra cable. It's a smaller one that I connected to the second drive. But I didn't think that was right. It's the 7 pin.

Would the RAM cause it to not power on?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Return to posts index

FlohRe: which PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things
by on Oct 15, 2006 at 8:38:46 am

[greg] "This computer is a refurbished computer direct from Apple."

Seems like they did not get it right. Talk to Apple Support about this.

[greg] "In the computer I only see one extra cable. It's a smaller one that I connected to the second drive. But I didn't think that was right. It's the 7 pin."

I think that the SATA connections include Power supply for the drives. Look at the internal shipping drive. Has it one or 2 cables? I think it has only one (I can check on Monday in the office), and the second drive needs only one, too.

[greg] "Would the RAM cause it to not power on?"

Bad RAM should at least give you some loud beeps from the system. Not powering on usually means something elst. Have you put back in place the Fans correctly?

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: which PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things
by on Oct 15, 2006 at 8:46:01 am

The thing won't power up if the clear plastic inner door isn't in place and seated properly.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2006 at 1:32:45 pm

Thanks Jim...It looks like the clear plastic door is seated properly

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2006 at 1:31:50 pm

Thanks for your help Floh.

(FLOH) think that the SATA connections include Power supply for the drives. Look at the internal shipping drive. Has it one or 2 cables? I think it has only one

The first drive that came with the Mac has two cables going to it

(FLOH)Have you put back in place the Fans correctly?

I believe so.

Also, the airport extreme does not need an antenna cable attached? or does it?

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: which PCi-e slot for Media 100HDe and other things
by on Oct 15, 2006 at 7:58:15 pm

[Floh] "greg] "Would the RAM cause it to not power on?"

Bad RAM should at least give you some loud beeps from the system. Not powering on usually means something elst. Have you put back in place the Fans correctly?"

Once I thought I could install my RAM upgrade myself... Installed the RAM, pressed the on button and absolutely nothing happened. No light. Nothing. My heart sank. Opened the box back up, tried to reseat the RAM. Still nothing.

Of course, I then asked Ron to do it. He put the RAM in and everything worked. Machine powered up just fine. So, yes, if the RAM is not seated properly, the machine won't even power up. I'd check to make sure the RAM is seated properly.

As far as the airport card: according to the booklet that came with a replacement card I bought once, it says the antenna is built in. I don't have a quad, but I do have a dual G5, and my antenna came in the box with the computer and it looks like a little T -- something small enough that someone may have thrown it away.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2006 at 12:01:29 am

Thanks Kathlyn,

I think it's just a bad computer. Apple is taking it back and will repair it. That's frustrating as we're now looking at another few weeks before I have the computer available for editing. I don't understand why Apple just won't send a replacement and take this refurbished one back. Doesnb't seem like good customer service to me. At least they were friendly!

I did put the fan in right, and the computer does the same thing (nothing) with and without the RAM I installed.

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]