MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M2P in Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944
M2P in Media 100
on Oct 10, 2006 at 7:30:11 pm

I've been given a harddrive full of m2p files. Is there any way M100 8.2.2 can view/edit these files. They won't open in QT-FCP - DVDSP etc. Any thoughts? Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: M2P in Media 100
on Oct 10, 2006 at 9:15:51 pm

Hi Chris,

m2p is an MPEG 2 program stream isn't it? Would MPEG Streamclip be able to do anything with it?

Daft question, but will the stream open it QT if you change the extension to m2v and then use its properties to change the "open with" to Quicktime ?

Sorry, just guesses really!

K

Return to posts index

topher944
on Oct 10, 2006 at 10:13:59 pm

Thanks - we'll try it and let you know. Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

topher944
on Oct 11, 2006 at 12:21:53 am

Thanks Keiran. Both of those suggestions worked just fine. If we can't get the masters back we'll be forced to work backwards with this project. Any thoughs as to which process might cause the least compression/recompression. We will be going back to mpeg2 files but need to edit the current ones. Thanks, Chris

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Oct 11, 2006 at 12:45:30 am

Hi Chris,

I usually just use Streamclip to convert the MPEG2 into Media 100 media - it takes a while but should import OK. I've done this a lot with media from DVDs made in my DVD recorder and haven't had too many quality issues when re-compressing for DVD at the other end. That said I've not had to do it with anything with a low bitrate.

If you are not able to do lossless through i, then perhaps you could use SW or Producer if you have it (or the trial version), to avoid the 2:1 compression associated with Media 100i, but there's no getting around the original MPEG 2 compression really.

If it is just 'cut out the bad bit' type editing you need to do to with this material, there is the option of using various freeware software to cut the streams themselves and then stitch them back together. This is rather laborious, inflexible and prone to unreliable output in my experience though.

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]