MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Producer

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy macProducer
by on Oct 5, 2006 at 5:26:04 pm

Okay, I'm a little confused here. Producer is "full featured software only"...is it HD or SD? I am looking at upgrading to HDe in the next 6 months, but can I use Producer for now to capture HDV (Sony Z1U) and SD video and output via firewire to tape or DVD? I have a G5 with PCI-x slots with the Magma expansion chassis, so going to HDe means purchasing a new G5, which I would like to put off for a few more months. Also, does the HDe use the same BOB as currently being used with 8.2? Thank you!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Producer
by on Oct 5, 2006 at 5:55:50 pm

[jimmy mac] "Okay, I'm a little confused here. Producer is "full featured software only"...is it HD or SD?"
It does both SD and HD. FireWire I/O is limited to SD currently, though. If you get HD material in from other sources (like from a Media 100 HD system or whatever) you can work in HD also.

[jimmy mac] "Also, does the HDe use the same BOB as currently being used with 8.2?"
No. It comes with an Aja Breakout box, similar to the KL-Box for the Kona card.

As far as I know there is an Aja-based Media 100 LHe version that works with PCI-X also. But of course this card won

Return to posts index

jimmy macRe: Producer
by on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:34:49 pm

Thank you Floh! So good, I can now purchase Producer and work with that for now on some projects. Purchasing a new computer for HDe is a dilema, as the card is not compatible with the MacPro, so I am waiting to see if Media 100/Boris will work on it in the coming months. One more question on Producer....will it work on a 17" PowerBook 1.33 Gig, or is it for G5's only? Thank you!

Return to posts index

ThomasRe: Producer
by on Oct 5, 2006 at 8:33:58 pm

Producer beta version 11.5 works on my 17" 1,5 Ghz very well, so the answer is yes. You need a G5 if you want to work with HD material only

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Producer
by on Oct 12, 2006 at 3:10:04 am

This is kind of a different question but applies to this post.

So if I wanted to do something in HD on Producer - and managed to load the HD files on to a drive from another editing system - say Avid or Final Cut -- what codec what I use to load that would be transferrable to Producer (and let's say for the sake of this question it wasn't the Media 100 HD codec)? Would that work? And would it be possible to export the final Media 100 HD project from Producer back onto the drive to be exported from the Avid or Final cut?

Easiest solution I realize would be just to get the Media HDe etc... but not possible at the moment - so I was wondering if that is doable?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Producer
by on Oct 12, 2006 at 8:07:03 am

In Producer you can use files natively in all Media 100 supported HD codecs (Media 100, Motion JPEGB, DVCProHD, Uncompressed 8&10bit). They have to be in 1920*1080 format, and either in 25 or 29.97 frame rate, but if they are they are supported natively and import directly. If you have other codecs you of course could transcode the files into a Media 100 supported codec format, but this takes some time (depending on the file length). You can export all these codecs as self-contained again, which is lossless and pretty quick, or you can export to any QuickTime codec for playout.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Producer
by on Oct 13, 2006 at 1:15:39 am

Thanks for the reply. That all makes great sense.
Not sure if it is really worth the trouble as a work around (without just upgrading to HD) but it is nice to
have the knowledge base of how to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]