MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

audio problems

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby MVaudio problems
by on Oct 2, 2006 at 9:56:50 pm

we are the new owners of an XDCAM HD VTR and a convergent design HD connect (yay). want to take advantage of being able to master HD media in/out through SDI from the XDCAM. i have run into problems. digitizing in audio out of the RCA connectors from XDCAM to a sound mixer to a flying cow to the HDX junction box. this is the same audio setup i have in place for digitizing BetaSP on M100 11.

Only thing is now that when i play back video in the timeline, i get these crackles and pops coming from audio. and it happens in different places. i used to experience this in final cut pro and it drove me nuts. only thing i could do is stop playback and play again, and it would usually skip through the parts i had just listened to, but this cant continue.

all footage was shot on green screen with a JVC GY100U and acquired through a HDconnect LE into m100HDX @ 10bit uncompressed. Right now in place there is an xserve RAID 5.6TB. video playback is fine, but audio screws up.

i then took some sample footage into after effects and keyed out the green, rendered out 10bit 1080i, 709 colorimetry, upper field dominance to the XSERVE RAID. when i imported back into m100HDX 11 it is all messed up on playback. audio sounds much worse and video is going crazy. it cannot lock its vertical or horizontal position, has that "scrambled pixels" look and just goes bonkers. i thought i might be having problems with m100HD 10bit 1080i uncompressed, so rendered out the comp at best quality with MJPEG B. same result.

i need help trying to solve the audio problem on playback first, then a resolution on rendering out HD 10bit media. i have 11.5 beta installed on another system, but no RAID array, so its hard to test video.

bobby

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

"once you go mac, you never go back"

Return to posts index

FlohRe: audio problems
by on Oct 3, 2006 at 6:57:27 am

[Bobby MV] "Only thing is now that when i play back video in the timeline, i get these crackles and pops coming from audio. and it happens in different places. i used to experience this in final cut pro and it drove me nuts. only thing i could do is stop playback and play again, and it would usually skip through the parts i had just listened to, but this cant continue. "

So, what

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: audio problems
by on Oct 4, 2006 at 6:30:35 pm

sorry, the suites been pretty busy with clients and what not. its very strange, i believe it has something to do with the data rate. All of the footage is on greenscreen, acquired at 10bit M100HD. it has now been 3 days since i digitized the footage and playback performance is getting WORSE. the footage begins to "flip out" after playing back for about 15 seconds, regardless of where it starts. the horizontal positioning gets thrown out of whack and then it becomes a lot of digital noise. when i mute the video layer and play back only audio, it sounds fine. Oddly enough, i am not getting any real-time errors from media100. The only thing i am noticing from the xserve raid is that when video is being played back, only the left side digital "VU meter" activity LEDS light up. im pretty sure in the past both sides would light up and alternate. (currently set at RAID50).

when i create RAM previews in after effects, it plays looks and plays fine, when i render out another 10bit m100HD composition and bring back into M100HD, it goes bonkers. I cant remember the last time anything has changed in the RAID settings, but maybe it has. could it have anything to do with this being my first 11.0 uncompressed 10bit project? ive done other uncompressed 10bit HD projects in version 10 with the same system and it worked fine.

i even downloaded the AJA disk speed analyzer and i was getting speeds of 300 MB/s, about 299.3 MB/sec avg. is this normal?

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 4, 2006 at 6:45:06 pm

[Bobby MV] "The only thing i am noticing from the xserve raid is that when video is being played back, only the left side digital "VU meter" activity LEDS light up. im pretty sure in the past both sides would light up and alternate. (currently set at RAID50). "

Yes, in RAID 50 both sides should show lights. They indicate the amount of cache used, so I would check the cache settings on both XServe Channels. And make sure that you have turned on the "realtime Features" messages under the "Titles & Effects" prefs. I

Return to posts index

by on Oct 4, 2006 at 10:38:52 pm

all settings are the same for both arrays of the xserve, but what i dont understand is why wasnt there a problem on the digitize? in after effects, all video frames are present and RAM preview flawlessly. shouldnt there have been digitizing errors? and why is playback performance progressively getting worse over time? still have over 25% capacity left...

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: audio problems
by on Oct 5, 2006 at 12:28:07 am

Have you checked your Media Destinations prefs panel to make sure files are being placed where you expect?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:08:09 am

yes im sure of that. now i am beginning to get worried. as i entered raid admin it is telling me that drives 8-14 are empty?!?! i dont understand. all of my media is accesible. i dont feel as i have lost anything, but that could be the raid doing its job. the green lights on the right array on the hard disks are on green, and even light up blue when there is disk activity. but the right side VU LEDs dont go up and down, just the left. the green light at the bottom of the blue LED stack is on though.... anyways, i went back and started playing some legacy timelines, and sure enough, they started having the same probelm with the glitching. im almost positive its the RAID array noww, although media 100 did crash and display an unrecoverable error message: -19216, socket 0, file pktmgr, line 1013, hardware rev:21, and so on so on.

i am by no means a raid expert although i did set up this system initially and got it to work well after tweaking it a couple of times, like swapping card slots for HDX board and fibre channel in G5. but i dont havea clue what has changed. i have just posted up some screen grabs of the window inside RAID admin. if anyone could take a look and compare it to theirs i would really appreciate it. next i just have to speak to a raid expert to try and get my system back to its normal operating state without losing the data i have on all these disks!

http://video.magicvideo.com/cowhelp/

i dont have any applecare for the xserve raid, so this is why im in the dark. i wil eventually have to have someone come out here and take a look at this, but i am just trying to troubleshoot and figure out what kind of problem im facing. thanks

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:08:54 am

Bobby,

first thing you should do is to see if there are media files on the RAID that you still need. If yes, copy them to another drive!!!
It seems like there

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2006 at 10:03:29 pm

[Floh] "What I would do is to Shut Down the RAID"

I have tried multiple times to shut down the raid controller through the RAID admin tools, nothing ever happens, just connection failure. I then unmounted the disks from the mac, and just following the instructions of holding down the power key for several seconds, but that doesnt do anything either. i would hold the power button down at the back of the unit forever and the system would just sit there. the only thing i can do is unplug the power cable from the power supplys. that doesnt sound like a good idea at all. but i cant get the unit to shut down.

[Floh] "You also could try connecting a Network cable to the lower network port just to see if it at least gets a network connection"

i do have network cables connected to both controllers, but nothing shows up as an IP adress or anything for the bottom one.

im feel better now thinking it may just be an easy hardware swap. hopefully

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]