MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Exporting "by reference" problems

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Farnsworth
Exporting "by reference" problems
on Sep 27, 2006 at 10:51:58 pm

Suddenly, when I export from media 100 8.2.2 from edit suite "by reference" to use in iDVD (iLife 06), I'm having quality problems. When I play the disc in a dvd player, the foreground (subject matter) seems fine but the background becomes real pixelated. This only happens when the camera is panning left and right. It seems fine when camera is stationary and/or zooming in and out. I also tried exporting as "self contained" with same results.

I then tried exporting from edit suite using quicktime (DV) and it worked fine.

My problen however is the export time. It took 2 minutes to export 5 seconds of video. I can only imagine how long a 1 and a half hour wedding video is going to take.

I've always exported using "by reference" in past with no problems.

This began when I upgraded to iLife 06. Apple tech support says it's media 100 causing the problem.

Please help...this couple will be calling about their wedding video anytime now.

Thanks a million as always,

Mark Farnsworth
http://www.familytreevideo.cc

Return to posts index

topher944
Re: Exporting "by reference" problems
on Sep 28, 2006 at 4:11:08 am

I'm unfamiliar with Ilife but it sounds as if your field dominance is off. See if IDVD/Ilife lets you choose field dominance. I believe your field dominance is upper for that version. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Hope this helps - I've been in the "avoid the bride's phone call mode" before. Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

jim Wilcox
on Sep 28, 2006 at 3:49:56 pm

Its been a while, but I remember having quality problems (field dom issues, poor quality video) with iDVD 6. I had an older version, iDVD 4, which worked just fine. You loose out on all the additions they have made, but out of M100, it was the only authoring I could get to work reasonably well.

Return to posts index

Mark Farnsworth
on Sep 28, 2006 at 11:25:20 pm

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your quick response. Here's how it got done last night & into part of the day today. From the edit suite window, I exported using the quicktime/DV codec...is that the right word to use, codec? In the past I would always use "by reference" option.

The 20 minute wedding ceremony took 3 hours (4 gig file) to export while the 33 minute reception took 5 hours and was over 6 gigs.

I got home from work today and thank God it worked. A nice looking disc, beautiful.

I'm just bummed it has to take so long to export. I wish I could go back to getting it done "by reference", it saved a ton of time.

Any suggestions on how to get it done faster but keep the same quality as the quicktime/DV codec provided me.

Floh maybe...by the way Floh, you're my hero! I wish I could be just like you. I'd be a millionaire! Ha, Ha.

Thanks you guys...have a good weekend.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 29, 2006 at 7:20:41 am

[Mark Farnsworth] "Any suggestions on how to get it done faster but keep the same quality as the quicktime/DV codec provided me. "

You should think about getting Media 100 sw or the new Media 100 Producer for this. The "old" Media 100 i systems do all their decoding/encoding on the P6000 board, which was very efficient some years ago, but today with the performance of modern computers it is much quicker to do it CPU-based. I don

Return to posts index

Mark Farnsworth
on Sep 29, 2006 at 3:25:34 pm

I'm honored! Thanks a million Floh for taking time. I'm going to check media 100's website for the new "Producer".

I'm still waiting to upgrade from 8.2.2 to 8.2.3. on my G4 933mhz.

This has been my busiest summer yet and I'm still trying to catch up so I can clear out all my projects before I perform the "full install".

I don't want to take a chance in losing anything.

Thanks again...
Mark from Detroit...go Tigers!
http://www.familytreevideo.cc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]