MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 SW is so lousy, how can their other products be any good?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wigler
Media 100 SW is so lousy, how can their other products be any good?
on Sep 16, 2006 at 5:57:29 pm

I was thinking about moving up to a DE, but I am DISMAYED by how lousy Media 100 SW is. The export from SW into an XR is INSANE. UNLESS THERE ARE NO SPACES AND/OR BLACK FRAMES THE IMPORT TIMES JUMPS TO HOURS INSTEAD OF A FEW MINUTES.

I have yet to see any system match the picture quality of SDI on my iXR so I not buying another Media 100 (except for DV in & out of SW) until I see proof of their supposed new reliability.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
Re: Media 100 SW is so lousy, how can their other products be any good?
on Sep 16, 2006 at 8:49:39 pm

A slight contradiction slagging off SW, AND saying you'll buy the DV in/out version, in the same post.

I think the problem is, SW was designed as a companion for HD, not the older M100i programs.

Even today, Media100 SDe is supposed to be the new replacement for M100i, and supposedly the exchange between Media100 SDe and SW is fine.

The exchange between Media100i and SW? Yeah, it's a complete bugger so I hear.
But then I haven't bought SW either.

I'm sticking with my 7.5 i/XS for now.

I have mentioned I may upgrade to HDe next year somewhen, as I assume I really ought to leave OS9 behind, at some stage. =P
But everything I have does the job atm.

Probably what you'd be best doing is either sticking with what you've got, or trying the new SW Production Suite [11.5 with DV in/out] two week trial when it becomes available. Or even better....ask to be on the Beta programme, which I assume would give you a longer trial, and allow you to give feedback too, and have that taken onboard. [ Email m100beta@media100.com ].

Then again, even with DV in and out, it might still be difficult using SW as a companion for Media100i. (Unless of course, if with DV in&out it becomes a full replacement for your Media100 i.e. if you just use DV cameras ).

If you need a second system, might be better off looking for old P6000 or Vincent cards on ebay. Then you can run a second Media100i and assure complete compatibilty between the two.

Or else, upgrade to the newer programmes, HDe, SDe, etc, which SHOULD be fully compatible with SW no probs. But yeah, it is a bit of a bugger you can't just buy SW and have it work seamlessly with legacy Media100i.

It has made it a useless proposition for me also, until I get a HDe system.
I would have bought SW by now if it was fully backwards compatible. As it isn't, I just went the ebay route, and got a second M100i.
It'll do as a stop gap, till the whole Universal Binary stuff is sorted out, and I've gathered enough cash to get a new Mac Pro & M100 HDe. For now, I'm cheap and cheerful with G4s and M100i.

But then I'm an ex-student playing it scavey.....

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 16, 2006 at 9:11:23 pm

Whoops...I went on on one, without paying too much heed it was a black clip / spaces problem that was annoying you more than anything else.

=/

Buggy, huh?

Hmmm....that does sound a bit bad, though I assume they'll fix it in a future revision, its obviously effected your confidence in the brand.

I don't have SW, so I'll let someone else comment on this problem in particular, or perhaps how people who have upgraded find their new setup in relation to their old XR.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:07:15 am

[Jim Wigler] "The export from SW into an XR is INSANE. UNLESS THERE ARE NO SPACES AND/OR BLACK FRAMES THE IMPORT TIMES JUMPS TO HOURS INSTEAD OF A FEW MINUTES. "

Yes, this is a problem with Media 100 sw in combination with Media 100 i. But since you know the reason for this bug (gaps/black frames) it would be easy to avoid it until it get fixed. Exchange between sw and HD is immediately anyway.

[Jim Wigler] "I have yet to see any system match the picture quality of SDI on my iXR so I not buying another Media 100 (except for DV in & out of SW) until I see proof of their supposed new reliability."

Picture quality of the new systems is even better than the one of Media 100 i; e.g. you can work in 10bit if you need the extra color details.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]