MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

OT Virus Attack

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt CahillOT Virus Attack
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 12:32:15 pm

This is why I don't like having my edit computer attached to Internet. Yet, it seems Boris, Media 100 et. al. require a connection for help menus & etc.

Apparently, my mac is infected with W97M.Niceday.AD. It was revealed to me yesterday by a friend whom I'd emailed with attachment concerning a job. Very disturbing (and luckily he's a friend/client) to learn I'm passing this bug along.

Researching on http://www.internetguardian.co.uk/index.htm, and wondering if there's any other sites any one may suggest?

Any effective strategies for dealing with this problem?

Thanks one and all.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: OT Virus Attack
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 12:42:56 pm

There are more or less ZERO viruses out in the wild that can affect Mac systems, so you should be pretty safe that nothing is going to happen on your system. Of course you should not download files/applications from unknown sources and run them, and even worse give them your username and password, if you are not sure that the application is from a legitimate source (e.g. not a good idea to download software from warez sites).
The virus you are seeing is a word macrovirus. It does nothing at all on a Macintosh system; it only has an effect for Office/Word Windows versions. The only thing is that if you get a word document with that virus, you modify it, and send it to somebody on a PC he could get infected. But this means that your initial word document already had this macro virus, it cannot get into your document on its own on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Matt CahillRe: OT Virus Attack
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 6:00:16 pm

Thanks Floh, yeah, I went on to the MacWorld site and got a responce there, as well. Symatec lists this virus from '01 as discovered. Sounds strange, because I don't recall opening any files recently from that era. I'm really pretty careful about the files I download, don't open spurious email attachments, don't have warez, and only use legit sources. Well, aparently, not. It's a mystery to me.

What's below was suggested to me, btw ClamXav is free download for anyone who's interested.

Thnks,

So, you've been attacked the only way you can be on a Mac, through M$ products. Priceless. Anywho... W97M.Niceday.AC - Symantec.com

I'd suggest ClamXav to resolve this situation.

--------------------
MacCheetah3
Apple MacBook (White) 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB, 100GB (7.2K), SD, 60GB iPod (White, 5G)
Debug Computer Services http://www.click2debug.com

Return to posts index

Lawrence MarshallRe: OT Virus Attack
by on Sep 16, 2006 at 5:19:13 am

I've beeen wondering how this virus thing works with the new Macs that can also run Windows. Soooo... can the Mac OS/partition on the hard drive get "infected" if Windows is booted? It's a hard drive that gets infected, not hardware... so would an entire drive be affected (or locked up or erased), go down if infected, or only the Windows partition? Will viruses creep over the Windows/Mac moat and blast away at Mac files?

Larry M

Return to posts index

Matt CahillRe: OT Virus Attack
by on Sep 17, 2006 at 2:56:38 pm

[Lawrence Marshall] "I've beeen wondering how this virus thing works with the new Macs that can also run Windows. Soooo... can the Mac OS/partition on the hard drive get "infected" if Windows is booted? It's a hard drive that gets infected, not hardware... so would an entire drive be affected (or locked up or erased), go down if infected, or only the Windows partition? Will viruses creep over the Windows/Mac moat and blast away at Mac files?"

IMHO, it's like what Floh says above, there are virually zero viruses in the wild that attack the Mac.

Read in an article from PC Magazine that states since the adoption of the Intel chip on the Mac platform "there may be an increase" - in the future - of this sort of behavior. They acknowledge, at the same time, that the Mac platform has long-since been a virus free environment.

That's why I was so surprised to see a file reported back to me as infected - didn't even know it could happen.

Here's a link: ://www.macworld.com/forums you may like to try, they seem to have pretty good info on that site about this kind of thing.

In case anyone's listening in here, have since tried the CalmXav software and it reported back that I don't have an infected file. Still trying to chase this problem to ground. And, in the meantime I'm not attaching any file as I email. . . will report back of my findings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]