MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Stand Alone DVD Recorders

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 14, 2006 at 10:30:31 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience for a stand alone dvd recorder to use with my media 100's S video out/analog audio out. I need to create multiple dvds of head to tail clips that don't require any editing. I thought throwing the clips onto a timeline and hitting play on the M100 and record on the DVD recorder would be the fastest. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks - Chris K

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 2:33:38 am

Hi Chris,

I have a Liteon DVD recorder that I bought for my media 100, though curiously it seems to spend more time in my living room ;-)

I chose it because of its firewire DV-in and the fact that it is an "All Write" model that can write to pretty much any disc format (+R/RW,-R/RW,CD etc) you shove in it.

After recording I use MPEG Streamclip to demux the disc, then use DVDSP to re-author a disc with my own menus - always nicer for clients than the ones generated by the machine itself - plus you can tidy up the in/out points of the clips.

I have yet to try it with the firewire connection out of media 100. I know that there are recorders that respond like decks and work under machine control, but have yet to find out if this is one of them.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

gregRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 3:02:43 am

I have a JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder. It also has a DV in connector as well as S-Video and RCA Jacks both front and back of unit. The best part of this DVD recorder is that it doesn't require you to have any images in front to play a DVD. it works the save way as laying off to VHS, etc.

But beware...many of these decks have a defect that causes them to go into an enless loading mode, with the loading light flashing. JVC offers a free fix by sending it back to them. My machine has been flawless. And a great picture!

Return to posts index

topher944Re: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 5:33:27 am

I have heard that many recorders (no specific brand singled out) create disks that play back on a limited number of machines. Have either of you had this experience? Thanks again for your input! Chris K

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 9:24:37 am

Gentlemen, can you please explain to me why, amongst many others, Floh advises the use of BitVice and Studio Pro to encode and burn DVD's when you guys seem to stick the stuff into a set top stand alone machine and produce DVD's out of the hat. It takes many hours to encode through BitVice and the results are wonderful but what about yours? You seem satisfied but these things are very subjective. I have in the past tried a stand alone recorder and, as one of you suggests, it wouldn't play on any other machine!

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 11:35:28 am

Hi Michael,

For anything I produce/edit/make, I don't use the standalone. For these DVDs I used BV and DVDSP as you suggest. It does take longer but the results are better, easier to control and adjust, and represent the best possible encoding as the data stays in the digital domain.

The Standalone is harder to control accurately, can't do VBR and has only a few presets for quality (mine has more than most, though as soon as you go above 2 hrs it flips to 1/2 D1). But it is quick, produces nice enough quality for screeners and is reliable.

I mainly use mine for encoding other things to DVD like VHS, U-matic etc which would otherwise take up a lot of suite time if I had to digitise them first. It is however, nice to think that if I am editing close to the wire, and a client needs a copy right then, the standalone is there to step in.

As for compatibility, there are DVD recorders that record on DVD-RAM discs which have always had compatibility problems, but the majority record on "normal" DVD discs. That said recorders use a special format (DVD+VR) that is not always compatible with existing set-top DVD players, though most computers play them. Add to that, that many DVD recorders only record onto +R media which is also incompatible with a lot of machines. My first experience with a set-top recorder was, like you, of a disc that wouldn't play on my machines, and that was a when I was the client! I was not impressed so vowed not to make the same mistake.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, my standalone can record on DVD-R media which is compatible with more players, but the +VR thing still gets in the way sometimes, that's why I always demux the disc it produces, extract the bits I want and re-author in the usual way.

Boy that was a long answer. Hopefully something in there was of use!

Return to posts index

GregRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 15, 2006 at 2:12:26 pm

My DVD recorder records DVD-R. I've never had a client tell me that a DVD does not play. For me it depends on the project and client. If I need to send a client a DVD for approval purposes, a DVD recorder is the way to go. If there's a menu and authoring, then I choose Bitvice and DVDSP.

I contract with a large fortune 500 company in their in-house video facility. Although we edit on FCP and On-line with a digibeta set-up, we output most often to a DVD recorder (Pioneer 7000). I've had a couple of instances (out of perhaps 300 DVDs) where someone has said the dick wouldn't play in their corporate DVD. What's worked in that case is to burn a copy of that DVD recorder disk in their DVD duplicator. That works fine, and no complaintes from anyone.

Return to posts index

Lawrence MarshallRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 16, 2006 at 5:24:10 am

I'm way out on the other extreme, using a Pioneer LX-1 DVD dual-DVD recorder with component, composite, and SDI video in, along with balanced XLR audio in. Very expensive, but also very handy when I have to burn two discs at the same time (which is usually "all the time"), and the quality is quite good.

(watch that spelling in the previous post, Greg... it's spelled "disc"...)

: )

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Stand Alone DVD Recorders
by on Sep 16, 2006 at 10:11:21 am

Thanks Kieran, that's what I assume the position to be. Stand Alones may be OK for a quick fix and as someone else said, to show a preview to a client, but for a quality 'show print' good encoding is the only way. 'Alright' quality is not for me, after all we go to tremendous trouble, not to mention expense, to get good pictures in the first place, why mess it up at the most important stage! Roll on HD DVD's when the quality should match the tape of today, (or even better?).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved