MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SATA drives for M100 HDe

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
SATA drives for M100 HDe
by
on Sep 14, 2006 at 9:18:16 pm

Well thanks to the unrelelentless help of Floh and Kieran, I've just purchased a Mac G5 Quad, a 30" Cinema Display, Media 100 HDe and FCP 5.1. and a second internal SATA drive for dual boot.

Now the only decision is which external SATA drives I should buy for editing. I'd like to buy two 500GB drives. I already have a
G-Sata 320GB drive I've never used. I also bought a Sonnet 4X4 card.

Any thoughts on SATA drives? I considering the G-SATA or the Granite Digital ones. Will these work in the G5 Quad with Media 100 HDe. I'm only editing using Beta SP and Mini DV to start. Thanks so much you guys...it's like Christmas in my office right now....until the bills come.

Greg

Return to posts index

topher944
Re: SATA drives for M100 HDe
on Sep 14, 2006 at 10:25:45 pm

Hey, Congrats on all the new toys. I would highly recommend checking out mac gurus and the roll your own sata drives. They have great customer service and are very easy to assemble. Just attach your drives to their sleds - slide them in and plug in your 1 sata cable. I'm using a 5bay with 5 500gb drives and get 2.3 usable with throughput fast enough for your needs. Later you could stripe 2 of these 5 bays together and get up 450mb sustained - check their tables for exact speeds. Best of luck - Chris K

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: SATA drives for M100 HDe
on Sep 15, 2006 at 2:44:14 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the thanks, and well done on the kit, sounds like a cool set-up!

K

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: any other suggestions? SATA drives for M100 HDe
by
on Sep 15, 2006 at 3:43:41 pm

I really could use more suggestions. Also, I bought the Sonnet tempo 4x4 for my mac G4 will this work in a G5 Quad? Is there a PCI X versus PCI E difference? Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 15, 2006 at 3:58:58 pm

[Greg] "I really could use more suggestions. Also, I bought the Sonnet tempo 4x4 for my mac G4 will this work in a G5 Quad? Is there a PCI X versus PCI E difference? "

G4s and First Gen G5s use PCI-X, Quads and DualCore G5s use PCI Express. These are completely different architectures, and not exchangeable. PCI-X won

Return to posts index

santellavision
on Sep 15, 2006 at 9:31:30 pm

Does anybody know of a PCIExpress 3GB SATA card for the Mac Pro? Sonnet's card isn't compatible yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]