MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

16:10 aspect

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mosaic16:10 aspect
by on Sep 14, 2006 at 2:20:05 am

Well. I just completed a 16:9 widescreeen project for an artist to show her work on dvd, only to find out that her tv display is 16:10 aspect. New to me! Of course the minor "squish" is driving her, and me, batty.

So, is there an easy fix for this? Obviously I am trying to see if the TV settings can make good of this. I don't count on it.

My question... What is the proper set up for a 16:10 aspect? Do I need to create my own program specs in Media 100? And, is there some remedy to control the aspect now that I hae 16:9 and make is usable for the 16:10 aspect?

Always appreciate the wisdom from the cow...

Joan

Mac G-4 OS 10.3.9, Media 100xs 8.2.3a, Boris FX 8, Grafitti 4, Smart Sound Sonic Pro 3.
Windows XP Media, Adobe CS2 Suite

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: 16:10 aspect
by on Sep 14, 2006 at 3:50:20 pm

Hi Joan,

Where are you sourcing the material from? How are you displaying it (ie from a DVD)? 16:10 seems to be only a display ratio for a select number of displays, so I wouldn't expect this to be a selectable option for an editing application.

If you are showing it through a computer, then you could take it into After Effects and create a custom ratio there. You could then compress it to a usable format for another player. If it's simply a loop you could use VLC. If it's a bit more complicated then it may be an authoring job in Director.

Of course, the simplest solution would be if the display had a "non-stretch" option, that would play things back at their original ratio. Then you'd only have to contend with a small border of black at the top and bottom.

Good luck and I hope this has been some help,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

MosaicRe: 16:10 aspect
by on Sep 18, 2006 at 3:11:25 am

Thanks Ben.

Apparently my e-mail notice was turned off.

The final output is DVD, and the TV display does not adjust for the 16:9. Normal screen or enhanced screen both have their slight output change. We could live with the slight black bars, however the point of making widescreen was to have the correct ratio without bars! LOL.

So, I am encouraging my client to get a 16:9 display. This is a Polaroid TV with build in DVD player. Snazzy, but the DVD loop feature will not stop displaying the repeat icon. Another deal breaker. But I digress...

Thanks for your input. I am not using AE so some of the workarounds seem cumbersome for me.

Joan

Mac G-4 OS 10.3.9, Media 100xs 8.2.3a, Boris FX 8, Grafitti 4, Smart Sound Sonic Pro 3.
Windows XP Media, Adobe CS2 Suite

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]