MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

buying a new mac

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
buying a new mac
by
on Sep 13, 2006 at 7:32:51 pm

Well I just ordered Media 100 HDe! Hooray. Now I need to buy a new Mac. I want to buy a G5 Quad, but the Apple Store is not selling these anymore. They do have refurbished ones. has anyone bought a refurbished Mac? Any problems?

Lastly, I plan on having a dual boot system. The Mac comes with a 250 GB internal SATA. Where can I buy a second one that will fit inside the G5? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: buying a new mac
by
on Sep 13, 2006 at 9:30:39 pm

[Greg] " I want to buy a G5 Quad, but the Apple Store is not selling these anymore. They do have refurbished ones. has anyone bought a refurbished Mac?"
Wow, that was quick. I expected them to keep these available for longer. The refurbished seem to be a good deal, though. As far as I know they come with the full Apple warranty, so no reason not to buy them.

[Greg] "Lastly, I plan on having a dual boot system. The Mac comes with a 250 GB internal SATA. Where can I buy a second one that will fit inside the G5?"
Any standard (3,5") SATA drive will fit into your G5. All screws are included in the G5 chassis, and it is extremely easy to install. Just get one at your local PC discounter or from any online reseller.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Sep 14, 2006 at 1:08:48 pm

Hi Greg,

I've bought two refurb machines both directly from Apple and from Cancom in the UK. I always go for refurb if I can as they are much cheaper, usually come with extra options already installed, and a brand new mac becomes 2nd hand the moment you open the box anyway.

That said, I initially had major problems with both of them. A g4 was DOA and a powerbook had a motherboard fault. However, they were covered under warranty so the G4 was immediately replaced, and the powerbook was fixed - both have been faultless ever since.

I may have been unlucky, but refurb machines have been returned for something and sometimes faults don't show themselves during testing. It's a gamble, but the odds are stacked in your favour!

K

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Sep 14, 2006 at 1:32:07 pm

CDW also still has these instock.... List price tho. Here's a link:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=865701

~A.D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]