MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Anyone familiar with DVD StudioPro settings for best quality?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
Anyone familiar with DVD StudioPro settings for best quality?
on Sep 8, 2006 at 2:56:21 am

I am on a OS 10.3.9 Mac G-4 Dual 144 with Superdrive.

I have a 10 minute photo montage was edited in Media 100i XR 8.2 and exported as a Quicktime Movie uncompressed so it is 12 GB.

I then imported the audio and video to DVD Studio Pro and created my menu. I then just hit burn to burn a DVD directly from the program. The DVD plays fine and the menu works as expected. However, I am very disappointed in the colors being washed out and the blacks not being rich black like they were in my NLE.

I would like to understand the appropriate steps to get the best quality possible with DVD Pro. I previously was going firewire directly to a standalone DVD recorder with great quality results but no menu capabilities.

It was suggested that I export from Media 100 as a MPEG2 so that it is compressed to go into DVD Studio Pro.
There is not a MPEG2 choice in the options. Any suggestions as to what I should use instead?

Thanks in advance,

jerome

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Anyone familiar with DVD StudioPro settings for best quality?
by
on Sep 8, 2006 at 6:17:18 am

The best way to do this is to export from Media 100 "By Reference", then use BitVice to encode to MPEG2 and use the resulting MPEG2 as your source video in DVDSP. BitVice can deal correctly with Media 100s RGB colorspace, it has a function called "StudioRGB" to compensate the RGB range difference.
Or you can rip the MPEG2 stream from a DVD you burned on your standalone player. You can use MPEG Streamclip, which is free. Most of the time this works very well, but unfortunately it does not work with all DVDs from our DVD recorders correctly. Some clips show frame jumps when doing this.

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
I bought BitVice but DVD StudioPro not burning a DVD
on Sep 13, 2006 at 4:56:02 am

I have a 9 minute video in Media 100. I exported as a reference QT Movie I then put it in BitVice and checked the Use Studio RGB and set the bit rate from 8.3 to 7 and the minimum from 3.2 to 4. It rendered OJ I then went to DVD StudioPro4 did my menu adn tried to burn a DVD. I got the error messge Video Bit Rate Too High.

I then went back and compressed the same movie over and checked the Use Studio RGB but left the rest alone so 8.30 and 3.20 were the bit rate defaults. I then took it into DVDstudioPro4. It then seemed to burn a DVD OK without error messages. But when I went to play it in a player. the player said it could not read it. The DVD player on my computer can't either.

Being how this is all new to me it is frustrating when I spend so much time and nothing to show for it.

Anyway, any ideas as to what is going on and how to remedy would be apprciated.

Thanks,

jerome

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: I bought BitVice but DVD StudioPro not burning a DVD
by
on Sep 13, 2006 at 9:36:12 am

Jerome,

DVDSP is a complex program, so I have to guess around a little bit. Does the DVD work in DVDSPs simulator? If yes, then probably there was a problem while burning. If the DVD does not work in the simulator you probably have not set the "First Play" action for the DVD.
For testing reasons you should encode a short piece with the BitVice standard quality settings (but with StudioRGB turned on), and bring that into DVDSP.
Your data rate problems are probably coming from the audio that you did add to the video. You should encode the audio to e.g. AC3 with Compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]