MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Mac Intel and M100 HDe

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gregMac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 2, 2006 at 3:25:43 pm

Glad to see that Media 100 is testing the Mac Intel Pro. But I really want to set up a new system now. My plans are to have a dual boot system with M100 hde and Final Cut Pro HD. I've been told that the AJA card that comes with M100 hde will work with FCP as well. I rather not wait 'til the end of the 1st quarter of 2007 to purchase a new M100 system, yet I feel that by purchasing a G5 quad now will be a mistake.

Do you think the new Mac Intel pro will wrk with Media 100 Hde? Any suggestions on how to approach this? What would you do?

I edit mostly on Beta SP and DV. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Mac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 2, 2006 at 9:05:50 pm

We are doing dual boot on the G5, some minor issues such as the hardware test is for the HDX card not the AJA .
If you need both now go with the G5 if you can live with FCP for a while go ahead and get the HDe and wait for the software to come I like the way Media100 HD handles mixing the different codecs on the timeline and the like but we are in the middle of a show shot 720 24p on P2 so for now we ware using FCP for that.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Mac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 2, 2006 at 9:10:10 pm

That last post could use a little punctuation. Sorry

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

GregRe:Jim Mac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 3, 2006 at 1:17:13 am

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I rather have Media 100 first, as I know it. But I'd like to use FCP as well. I can't do either without the AJA card. But I'm concerned about waiting until maybe March for M100 to work with the Mac Intel.

It looks like the Mac Intel is cheaper thn the G5

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Mac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 3, 2006 at 12:52:32 pm

[greg] "Glad to see that Media 100 is testing the Mac Intel Pro. But I really want to set up a new system now. My plans are to have a dual boot system with M100 hde and Final Cut Pro HD. I've been told that the AJA card that comes with M100 hde will work with FCP as well. I rather not wait 'til the end of the 1st quarter of 2007 to purchase a new M100 system, yet I feel that by purchasing a G5 quad now will be a mistake."

The question is what you plan to do with the system in the next couple of months mainly. If you are "only" editing SD material and you are not doing much AfterEffects, Combustion or heavy Photoshop work you will probably be best suited with the mid-range G5, the non-quad model. If you plan to work much with HD material, much in AE, Photoshop, Combustion or other Compositing software you should go with the Quad.

[greg] "Do you think the new Mac Intel pro will wrk with Media 100 Hde?"

If you mean if HDe will work today on a Quad, then the answer is no. While the applicaion may or may not launch under Rosetta (the PPC emulation layer) it definitely will not be quick enough to work in realtime with video streams. Media 100 is not testing the software with the new CPUs, they are going to port the application code over to Apples own Application development environment, XCode, since this is the only environment that can create "Universal Binaries" applications, which can run natively on PPC and Intel Macs. And as you can see with e.g. the Adobe products and Microsoft office, that is not a task which is done in a lazy afternoon. So for buying a Media 100 system today the G5 systems are the only option. But because of the announcment of an Universal version of Media 100 I would only invest in a Quad system if I really use the additional performance today. Otherwise I would buy a mid-range (or maybe even "low end" although low end is not really the correct words for the performance you will get even from the smallest system) G5 and save some money. As soon as the second generation of Mac Pros is going to be released and all the first revision problems are solved we will consider buying some.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Mac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 4, 2006 at 3:18:11 am

(Floh) "you mean if HDe will work today on a Quad, then the answer is no."

Floh are you saying the HDe system will not work on a Quad? or did you mean the Mac intel? Yes, most of my work will be SD but I really want to get the AJA card that comes with HDe, so I can edit on both FCP and Media 100. Does that make sense to you?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Mac Intel and M100 HDe
by on Sep 4, 2006 at 6:22:39 am

[Greg] "Floh are you saying the HDe system will not work on a Quad? or did you mean the Mac intel? Yes, most of my work will be SD but I really want to get the AJA card that comes with HDe, so I can edit on both FCP and Media 100. Does that make sense to you?"

Sorry, of course I meant Media 100 won

Return to posts index

GregRe: Floh...Follow-up
by on Sep 4, 2006 at 3:45:36 pm

Thanks for the info Floh...as always! I do have another question. Let's say that I purchase a G5 quad , the Media 100 HDe, and FCP. Keeping in mind that I currently edit in SD, what kind of media drives would work best for me? Would I be able to use G-Raid Firewire drives? G-Raid Sata drives? Any other thoughts? I'd like to avoid using SCSI drives due to their cost.

Lastly, I've heard many people using Dell 24" monitors with their G5s as a cheaper alternative to the Apple Cinemas 23" or 30". Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Floh...Follow-up
by on Sep 4, 2006 at 4:28:44 pm

[Greg] "Thanks for the info Floh...as always! I do have another question. Let's say that I purchase a G5 quad , the Media 100 HDe, and FCP. Keeping in mind that I currently edit in SD, what kind of media drives would work best for me? Would I be able to use G-Raid Firewire drives? G-Raid Sata drives? Any other thoughts? I'd like to avoid using SCSI drives due to their cost."

I definitely would use SATA drives if the drives are supposed to be cost-effective, or FibreChannel if you want to have the option to add more systems later. But for a relatively cheap but powerful solution go SATA.

[Greg] "Lastly, I've heard many people using Dell 24" monitors with their G5s as a cheaper alternative to the Apple Cinemas 23" or 30". Any suggestions? Thanks so much!"

Of course you can use Dell. But I love my Apple 23" CinemaDisplays, they have a brilliant image and a brilliant design. I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]