MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Explanation of M100 HD OFFLINE Resolutions?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.Explanation of M100 HD OFFLINE Resolutions?
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 5:34:57 pm

Just moments ago, I upgraded my M100HD(x) system to M100 HD Version 11.

I just had a question about digitizing at low res in the HD standard...

From the way it looks, to capture at the lowest data rate, I would:
A.) Select the HD Tab in the Media Settings page
B.) Choose a compression type OTHER THAN M100 HD (I suspect Motion JPEG B is really the only viable choice)
C.) Select the least quality on the slider.

So, will this capture in the HD standard at low res/low data rate? I believe I saw somewhere in the release notes that you cannot online if you select the DVCProHD codec.

Any base explanation of how the intended offline/online HD workflow is supposed to go would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Explanation of M100 HD OFFLINE Resolutions?
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 5:48:51 pm

[Michael C.] "So, will this capture in the HD standard at low res/low data rate?"

Yes, that

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Explanation of M100 HD OFFLINE Resolutions?
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 6:24:47 pm

Thank you, as always, floh!

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: Explanation of M100 HD OFFLINE Resolutions?
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 7:14:36 pm

so whats the slider for if acquiring the DVCPRO HD codec? i saw no difference with the slider at 100% or at low %. the data rates did not change either. it did however, work with MJPEG, which is my codec of choice, anyways.

but doesnt DVCPRO HD have non-square pixels? when i get info from a quicktime window it says its sqaure, even when i import a ckip from final cut. im curious as to what happens when it "updates media file" is it conforming it really fast?

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

"once you go mac, you never go back"

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2006 at 9:35:41 pm

[Bobby MV] "so whats the slider for if acquiring the DVCPRO HD codec? i saw no difference with the slider at 100% or at low %. the data rates did not change either. it did however, work with MJPEG, which is my codec of choice, anyways."

Not really sure why there is a slider. It should be 100MBits always; I would guess that the slider has no effect for DVCProHD.

[Bobby MV] "but doesnt DVCPRO HD have non-square pixels? when i get info from a quicktime window it says its sqaure, even when i import a ckip from final cut. im curious as to what happens when it "updates media file" is it conforming it really fast?"

No, as far as I know it is "conforming"/expanding it during playback. Like with 720/760 or 720/640 media, which can be mixed in realtime on a timeline the DVCProHD stream gets "decompressed" or unfolded to a full uncompressed HD stream and gets send to the Aja or HDx board as an uncompressed stream. So if you have enough CPU performance it does not matter what the resolution of the incoming signal is, it gets converted to the timeline resolution (1920*1080) in realtime on the CPU and gets send to the board as an uncompressed stream.

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: Explanation of M100 HD OFFLINE Resolutions?
by on Sep 7, 2006 at 8:41:40 pm

[Floh] "No, as far as I know it is "conforming"/expanding it during playback. Like with 720/760 or 720/640 media, which can be mixed in realtime on a timeline the DVCProHD stream gets "decompressed" or unfolded to a full uncompressed HD stream and gets send to the Aja or HDx board as an uncompressed stream. So if you have enough CPU performance it does not matter what the resolution of the incoming signal is, it gets converted to the timeline resolution (1920*1080) in realtime on the CPU and gets send to the board as an uncompressed stream."

i am meanning to perform this test whenever i get a chance... so if we have multiple HD codecs in the timeline, say DVCPROHD, MJPEG and uncompressed, what gets sent to after effects if you do a export to after effects function? this really applies to the DVCPROHD... obviously if you digitize through the HDX/AJA hardware m100 will conform the pixel aspet ratio. but if you were to use FCP digged material and quick imported to m100, then what? still rectangular, or conformed when "updating media file"? maybe i just shouldnt worry about it.

media 100's ability to do all of this codec mixing seamlessly and crash-lessly in the first build and across two different hardware cards just blows me away. now if we can only have timeline nesting and locked window panes like RED4 and after effects i think i'll be in heaven.

bobby

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2006 at 12:53:14 pm

[Bobby MV] "if we have multiple HD codecs in the timeline, say DVCPROHD, MJPEG and uncompressed, what gets sent to after effects if you do a export to after effects function? this really applies to the DVCPROHD... obviously if you digitize through the HDX/AJA hardware m100 will conform the pixel aspet ratio. but if you were to use FCP digged material and quick imported to m100, then what? still rectangular, or conformed when "updating media file"? maybe i just shouldnt worry about it. "

Simply don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]