MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob KarsnerMedia 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 4:44:40 pm

I am currently upgrading my Media 100 suite to the HDe on a Dual-core 2.5 GHz G5. I am looking for hard drive options. I have received a lot of confusing information and Medial100 only offers a select few, very costly, options on their supported drives. I am primarily doing SD work with the HD being an option down the road but not anytime soon. Can anyone give me feedback on what they are having success with in the $1200-$1500 range for media drives.

Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 5:07:34 pm

Bob,

if you want it cheap and fast you should go SATA; there are various cards and external chassis using SATA and PortMultipiler technology that give great performance for SD work, even with multiple layers. And with some striped drives you even should get into the HD performance range. Maybe you should contact macgurus.com or another store/company who offer Mac SATA solutions. The good thing if you buy a "whole" solution (cards, drives and chassis) from one reseller is that you should be good to go and to get the performance they claim. If not you have somebody to talk to.

Return to posts index

Bob KarsnerRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 5:51:12 pm

Thanks for your recommendation. Have people been getting reliability with the SATA drives? I have been told conflicting reports.

Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index

topher944Re: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 8:25:47 pm

Hey Bob - I'm using a SATA array from MacGurus. I bought my drives online (sata seagate 500gb) $270/drive and a sonnett x4 sata control card for around 250. The "build your own" drives were very easy to assemble (5 bay utilizes the port multiplier hub to it's max - 1 cable from your tower to your card - leaving 3 open slots for 3 more towers) right now I get about 230mbs second through 90 percent of the drives. If you want to upgrade later on, you can buy 2 new 5 bay towers with drives - stripe them together and get around 450mb/sec sustained. Rick is the owner and took my calls immediately when I had a glitch. It was just a cable that needed to be trimmed and the drives have worked flawlessly with my m1008.2.2 OS10.3.9 MacG4Dual 1.4 I can't recommend them enough for their customer service and product knowledge. Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

Bob KarsnerRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 9:13:38 pm

Thanks for your input. That helps a lot!

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 9:24:36 pm

Ditto on that. I bought my SATA array from MacGurus and they were very helpful. Great value, and the drives reliable performers.

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 11:48:02 pm

I'm in a similar position Bob. Could anyone provide an actual Model/Brand that they are using and would recomend for SD work?
Until now I've been using a Medea product which has been outstanding. Hmm, maybe I'll stay with them?

Cheers in advance.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 30, 2006 at 12:04:25 am

I was using Medea, too, back when I was still using SCSI. SATA is the way to go now, IMHO. You'll save a ton of money if you build your own array (if I can do it, anyone can do it!). Just call the folks at MacGurus and they'll answer all your questions. You can find their kits here:

http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/satakits.php

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: Media 100 HD - Hard Drive Options
by on Aug 30, 2006 at 5:45:00 pm

I also was looking for an alternative raid solution for our new hDe and talked to guys over at caldigit... their ads are are all over the cow. they seem to be pretty solid eSATA 3gb solution. they are very media100-like because they sell you the host adapter card, they use their drives and include their own software monitor very much like RAID admin for
xserve. also their boxes have hardware RAID so rebuilding a bad disk is significantly faster should one ever go down. and warranty! they are definitley worth a call, very knowledgeable , you can ask them anything. if you dont want to get too involved in engineering your own RAID, i suggest speaking to those guys first. they are very nice

my 2c

bobby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]