MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 rendering video that's already imported

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Erlinder
Media 100 rendering video that's already imported
on Aug 26, 2006 at 4:15:00 am

I'm running a G4 with M100 8.5 and a set of SCSI/firewire drives.
Quicktime I believe is in the 6.5 range.

I had material from a DVD that was run through FCP, exported as a DV QT and given to me to edit. It seemed to import into M100 fine- I can see it- in the bin, on the time line, cut it etc...NOW the problem:

When I go to render my effects it also wants to re-render the original source material (the original 7 min clip)...Well, OK, audio imports quickly BUT picture starts to import (even though it's telling me it will take 3 HOURS to render 7 min) and then randomly crashes on import- usually within 5 min of starting. Whole system freezes and I tried force quitting but it never works...Have to shut down to restart.

When it tries to render, some of the shots disappear from the timeline as "off line"- but re-appear when I restart the G4 and open M100.

OTHER QUIRKY THING:
The titles, dissolves, etc won't render over this footage either, unless I export the clip and re-import it.

Delivery of the re-cut is to be on DVD and H.264- welll ain't that fine...I can't get it off my TIMELINE, YIKES! I can't finish a final render...

I guess my "work around" may be to resort to crash record off the time line to tape and re-digitize from that...Sucks though...

Any ideas anyone?

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Media 100 rendering video that's already imported
by
on Aug 26, 2006 at 9:10:34 am

[Scott Erlinder] "I'm running a G4 with M100 8.5 and a set of SCSI/firewire drives."

Um, there is no V8.5. Are you speaking about V7.5 (OS9) or V8.2.x (OS X)?

[Scott Erlinder] "When I go to render my effects it also wants to re-render the original source material (the original 7 min clip)...Well, OK, audio imports quickly BUT picture starts to import (even though it's telling me it will take 3 HOURS to render 7 min) and then randomly crashes on import- usually within 5 min of starting. Whole system freezes and I tried force quitting but it never works...Have to shut down to restart."

Have you applied ColorFX to the clip? While the system can play them back in realtime it has to render them before you e.g. can apply effects/titles to a ColorFXed clip or before you can export it. Try removing all ColorFX and see if this changes anything. Or, as you said, play it out to tape and redigitize it.

Another option would be to use the Media 100 sw trial version for this. It can use native DV clips from FinalCut or from other sources directly (without transcoding); and the upcoming version also will be able to digitize and output to DV directly.

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Aug 26, 2006 at 2:59:42 pm

Floh,

Thanks so much for your quick response!

Yes, it's Media 100 8.2.1, it was a long day and fingers didn't connect to brain.

I did a little more investigating and my co-worker had used the same footage (a few clips from the master clip that's giving me fits) in another program using the same master clip- no problem, no rendering.

Another set of clips from the same extracted DVD media created in FCP (because of the need for more B-roll) does not exhibit the re-rendering issue in my timeline.

I think I'm going to noodle around with the original FCP quicktimes to see if I can fix the problem (different export settings than M100).

Luckily, this isn't a long piece and I'll just loose a day.
(Oh JOY!)

I'll let you know what I find out.

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Aug 27, 2006 at 12:51:46 am

Floh,

There must have been something that corrupted the FCP export on the files used in the M100 edit. Even though my partner was able to export his bit yesterday, the files now show the same issues as my problem.

We had the client re-exported the FCP stuff as an animation, not the M100 codec, and now everything is back to normal...Albeit, it has to be re-cut.

Thanks for your help though...I'm not really sure just what happened.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]