MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Converting a NTSC DVD to PAL DVD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsConverting a NTSC DVD to PAL DVD
by on Aug 18, 2006 at 3:26:58 am

Media 100i XR 8.2.2 OS 10.3.9 Panasonic DVD standalone R- recorder, Phillips DVD standalone R+ recorder (both have a firewire capability)

I have an NTSC dvd and want to convert it to be shown in New Zealand. New Zealand is listed as a PAL country.

I am thinking: I digitize the dvd into a media 100 bin and then create a new program with the hardware set to PAL, bring the media in and then output the PAL program to a stand alone DVD recorder.

Will this work even though the recorders are basically set as NTSC recorders? Do I need to have a PAL recorder?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Converting a NTSC DVD to PAL DVD
by on Aug 18, 2006 at 6:56:59 am

Media 100 cannot convert NTSC material to PAL, so you cannot drop NTSC clips on a PAL timeline. You could render the NTSC into a PAL version in e.g. AfterEffects or Compressor 2.1 which is said to be very good at this. But most likely still your DVD recorders would not record a PAL stream since they are NTSC devices.
The easiest way for you is to stay NTSC, since 99.5% of all PAL DVD players will play back NTSC DVDs. It is part of the PAL DVD player specification that they can do this. Unfortunately nearly 99.5% of all NTSC players won

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: Converting a NTSC DVD to PAL DVD
by on Aug 18, 2006 at 10:14:51 am

If it's just a one off showing, just make sure you have an NTSC compatible player and TV when you get to New Zealand.

If it actually NEEDs to be PAL, get an a/v company to do a standards conversion for you.

There are three methods for standards conversion:

1) Use some little digibox thingie to play a little trick on the system - someone local did this for me, and managed to convert from NTSC to PAL at a modest

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: Converting a NTSC DVD to PAL DVD
by on Aug 18, 2006 at 10:25:08 am

Just realised you're in California, I'm based in the UK, so don't know much about the area, but I have a few tapes here from various companies, you could try asking round at:

AGF Media:
14932 Delano Street,
Van Nuys, CA 91411
(They did an Activision PAL tape I have)

Dogmatic Inc:
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice Beach,
CA 90291
Tel: 310 450 3884
(They did a Ubisoft PAL tape I have)

Lightning Media:
They're in Hollywood, Santa Monica, Burbank, and Valencia.
(They've done Capcom and Vivendi PAL tapes I have).

Those are the only US contact I have atm.
And I've never used, or spoken to any of 'em.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved