MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SATA hard drive array

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Eidt
SATA hard drive array
on Aug 16, 2006 at 5:27:39 pm

Has anyone tried a full-on SATA HD solution with Media 100 HD, i.e. card, enclosure and drives? M100 tech support says there were conflicts with SATA cards in G4s but they don't know about G5s. The speed is there, but I'm curious about anyone's experience in the real world.

Return to posts index

Scott_F
Re: SATA hard drive array
on Aug 16, 2006 at 8:00:32 pm

Is this with a PCIx G5 with the Media 100 HDx card or a PCIe G5 with the AJA hardware?

It COULD make a difference. My guess (without any first-hand knowledge) is that the PCIe would be less likely to give you trouble 'cause each PCIe slot is effectively it's own bus.

Return to posts index

Jim Eidt
on Aug 16, 2006 at 9:55:08 pm

It's a PCI-X G5. I just ordered the SATA array anyway, but wanted to check whether anyone had tried a similar set up. Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

topher944
on Aug 17, 2006 at 6:16:05 am

Just a note. I use a 2.5TB MacGuru 5 bay SATA array on my M100i 8.2.2 - OS10.3.9 - G4 Dual 1.42 1.5gb ram - sonnet x4p pci x sata controller. I can stripe 4 of these 5 bay enclosures together to get HD speed. Whether or not it will work on a G5... - haven't come to that hurdle yet. Highly recommend MacGuru for their knowledge, customer service and price. Hope this helps. Kind Regards -

Return to posts index

Jim Eidt
on Aug 18, 2006 at 4:07:17 am

>Highly recommend MacGuru for their knowledge, customer service and price.<
Funny, even Sonnet recommends MacGuru for their 8-bay enclosure, but I opted for two Sonnet 5-bays. I am also using the Sonnet X4P, so keeping it in the Sonnet family was attractive. The whole thing is going to cost me 1/4 of a Medea or RAID Inc. system, which was perhaps the main attraction. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to posts index

topher944
on Aug 18, 2006 at 5:52:30 pm

The 5 bay is definitely the way to go. The port multiplier technology allows 5 drives per - and so an eight bay drive wastes the possibility of 2 drives (total 10)by utilizing only 4 drives per port multiplier port. (Like 10 hotdogs in a pack but only 8 buns per pack - wacky huh? (Someday they'll figure out the 10 bay deal) I went with the build it yourself Macguru's to save a little money - I liked the options of their cheap extra drive tray sleds etc... Let us know how the sonnet works out. Kind Regards, Chris

Return to posts index

sformby
on Aug 18, 2006 at 6:41:05 pm

What software did you use to strip the drives? Did you use RAID 0?

Return to posts index

topher944
on Aug 19, 2006 at 7:49:04 pm

Disk Utility/Raid 0

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Sep 26, 2006 at 7:13:14 am

I can get SATA drives to work on a G4, but not as a RAID (they actually slow down when in a RAID!). I think there may be a conflict with the SATA cards as reported. I have 2 cards and 4 drives (Lacie).

Ken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]