MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

accessing Media 100 digitized footage in other programs

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marguuaccessing Media 100 digitized footage in other programs
by on Aug 11, 2006 at 1:00:19 am

I am storing my digitized Media 100 footage in a LaCie hard drive. Can this media be accessed from this hard drive via another editing system (say Avid) on another computer?

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: accessing Media 100 digitized footage in other programs
by on Aug 11, 2006 at 5:55:55 am

Hi,

Yes. The media is just Quicktime files, so as long as the application can read QT and has the software codec installed, it will import the files.

Note that some apps cannot edit the files natively and will transcode to a different codec that it can work with. It's best to avoid moving between lossy codecs too many times as this can degrade your image.

HTH

Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

marguuRe: accessing Media 100 digitized footage in other programs
by on Aug 11, 2006 at 7:51:02 pm

Thanks Ben!

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: accessing Media 100 digitized footage in other programs
by on Aug 11, 2006 at 9:05:54 pm

Ben, I had this very query when I couldn't get access to an HDCAM deck for mastering and I wanted to take my Lacie drive to a production house for transfer to tape and was told by a number of people (including the fabulous Floh) that it had to be done on a Media 100 system. I couldn't find anyone with both Media 100 AND an HDCAM deck and was resorting to sending the drive abroad until luckily I managed to rent the deck here in London.

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: accessing Media 100 digitized footage in other programs
by on Aug 13, 2006 at 8:02:23 am

Hi Michael,

If you take it into another system and you have to transcode it to a different codec than the full uncompressed Media 100HD then you may lose quality, but you should be able to do it. If you can wait for the transcode to happen!

If you have the codec installed it will read the QT file. This is why one can edit happily on a Media 100 system then send it out to a different one for effects or compression. Full disclosure: I've never tried this for HD material but it's a standard workflow for my SD projects. But I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Also, if you're going to a Windows machine, then do a search on the forums for problems with QT7 & the transcoder.

All the best,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]