at 640 x 480 instead of 720 x 486 (I didn't change the settings, does
media 100 change them automatically?). I can't use the 640 footage
in a 720 timeline. Can I trick the system into reading the 640 footage as
720? Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
Re: changing input standards on digitized footage
on Aug 7, 2006 at 1:26:10 pm

I convert 4:3 and 16:9 and back, sometimes when I digitized in the wrong setting.

Here's what I do.

Drop the videoclip into a timeline.
Highlight it.
Look in the edit suite window to see how long it is.
Make a note of the length.

Go to hardware preferences, and change the setting to the desired resolution.
Open new timeline in this new resolution.
Goto Tools>New Composition.
Double Click the Composition Clip, and then in the editing suite window, type in a new length for it - making it the same length as the videoclip mentioned above.

Then I go back to my original timeline with the videoclip in it, and I export it to a reference movie, without the audio.

Then I go back to my second timeline with the composition clip in it, and double click it again.
Then I click "Edit..." in the edit suite window, and it launches Boris FX ( I have version 6 ).

Boris FX boots up with the main track being a black colour.
You can leave this, but add a new track ontop, by going TRACK>>NEW>>MEDIA FILE.. - and after clicking Media file, I'm able to browse my hard drive for the reference clip I exported earlier. I select this, and click okay.

Now I'm back in the BorisFX timeline.
Now you can do what you want.
If I was converting anamorphic 16:9 to letterbox 16:9 for use in a 4:3 timeline, I would simply flip down the arrows in the track, until I saw the "face" and "media" bit, then would click the media icon, change the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9, and then change the overall Transform for the track to an X/Y scale down of 75%.

If you're trying to switch between 480 and 720, I believe there's a square pixels tick box that might help somewhere in the media section, so try flicking that, other than that, you can just stretch it using basic transforms, till it looks right.

When happy with the results, quit Boris, and you'll be asked if you want to save changes back to host.
Click save or yes, or whatever it is, and then when back in M100, click "apply" in the edit suite window, and then "render".
It will now take a while to render the clip, in the new resolution.

Obviously, if you still have the original tapes, you may find it easier to re-digitise the footage, as opposed to rendering it with Boris.

Then once rendered, you can take the original audio tracks and layer them beneath.

To prevent accidental un-renderings or whatever, you can export the finished clip as a self contained movie, making it totally independant, and then re-import it in.

I use Media100i 7.5 on OS9, with Boris FX version 6.
There may be easier ways to do this with more modern software.

Return to posts index

CleverMoniker
on Aug 7, 2006 at 7:21:54 pm

Pardon my French but...

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!!!! You've got some time on you hands!***

While the Boris method will certainly work to create a letterboxed output of 16:9 footage, there are a few of other ways that should work with both new and "old" software.

CREATE A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL TIMELINE

If you've only just digitized the clips and haven't begun editing, you could...
A:
- Put the offending clips in a timeline, cuts-only, nothing fancy
- From the "File" menu, choose "Print to EDL"
- Choose CMX 3600 (it's the one I've always used, and it works for me)
- Uncheck everything you possibly can (you might want to keep the clip names though), EDL is an archaic format that predates the existence of Non-Linear Editing. The simpler you keep it, the more likely you will be successful.
- Go ahead and "Print" that EDL. (Why the heck does it say "Print" anyway? That's always bugged me)
- Make sure to pay attention to where you "print" it to, so you can find it again.
- Now, ensure your Hardware Settings are correct, don't forget the audio. (btw...no, Media 100 doesn't change them automatically, unless you delete your Preferences)
- From the "File" Menu, choose "Import..." and navigate to the EDL.
- The EDL will come in as a timeline with the current media settings.
- Now you can Batch Digitize the new timeline.
- This method has never screwed up for me, but it's best for unedited footage due to the inherent limitations of EDL.

...or, if you've already edited the clips, you could...
B:
- CREATE A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL TIMELINE
- Change your Hardware Settings to the way you want them to be.
- Select all the clips in your timeline.
- While holding down Shift+Control+Option+Command, go to the "Media" menu and choose "Batch Re-Digitize Selected".
- Keep holding all 4 keys down until you see the messages stating that you've chosen to force redigitize at the current hardware settings.
- This will let you batch re-digitize at the new hardware settings.
- I should warn you that I have (once or twice in 6 years) had trouble with this method, ending up with clips of BOTH formats in the same timeline resulting in a totally corrupted and unusable timeline. Again, ALWAYS work from a copy of your original timeline. This way, if it does screw up, you can toss it and the media it created then try again.

finally, if you haven't got too many clips or simply cannot redigitize for whatever reason, you could...
3:
- Export the 640 clips to "some other codec" so that they loose whatever M100 tags they have on them, I would use Animation
- Set your Hardware Settings the way they need to be
- Import the clips
- they SHOULD come in under the new hardware settings

Depending upon the number of clips you have and how far you've gone with them, one of these options or a combination ought to do it for you.

***I'm kidding, please take no offense. Have a nice day. Peace, Love and Flowers.

fhgwgads

Return to posts index

marguu
on Aug 7, 2006 at 8:11:14 pm

Yikes!! Thanks for those two methods. Looks like I'll be spending just as much time either adapting or re-digitizing (a few hours of footage, that's why I wanted to find a trick.) Good to know there is a solution.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Aug 7, 2006 at 8:40:50 pm

***I'm kidding, please take no offense. Have a nice day. Peace, Love and Flowers.

>>>>No worries mate. I knew my suggestion was a long way round, but no one had suggested anything to this person's prob at the time, so thought I might as well reply.
Good to hear your response too.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Aug 7, 2006 at 10:03:10 pm

"I knew my suggestion was a long way round, but no one had suggested anything to this person's prob at the time, so thought I might as well reply."

Although actually, exporting to animation, and then importing in again would involve 2 renders ( one, rendering to animation, two, rendering back into M100 codec again ), whereas the boris fx method would just involve one render ( the reference file export is superfast, especially without audio, so you're only really waiting to render the composition clip ).
Of course I only speak from my version 7.5 experience, and assume things have got easier with newer versions.
Indeed, if you have the latest M100 v11, you don't even need to use the M100 codec, so could edit in animation, or some other form, and can even mix resolutions in a timeline, so I've heard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]