MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

interlacing headache

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tugs M. MacCow
interlacing headache
on Jul 31, 2006 at 7:44:48 pm

I'm running Media 100i/xr version 7.5.1 on OS 9.2.2. Work I've done in the past has generally be either digitized as a fairly high data rate in Draft mode to get a pseudo film effect or using the Natural setting. I've recently being editing a commerical which I've digitised using the HDR setting at 360 KB. About half of the shots in the commerical have subsequently been through After Effects.

Here's the problem. When I play the edited commercial back in M100 it looks lovely. But however I export it, the entire film suffers from nasty interlacing artefacts whenever there's significant horizontal motion. Interestingly this occurs for both the straight and After Effects shots.

I should point out that the After Effects shots were used with the Separate Fields setting turned off in the Interpret Footage window.

The artefacts are reduced if I use the de-interlace setting in BitVice (the deliverable is a DVD), but it still doesn't look good. Obviously there's something I'm not doing in the best possible manner earlier in the chain. DO I have to run all the footage through After Effects and use Separate Fields and Motion Detect? Surely there's a more standard way of dealing with plain old DV. (BTW I'm PAL, not NTSC) Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: interlacing headache
by
on Jul 31, 2006 at 8:35:24 pm

[Tugs M. MacCow] "Here's the problem. When I play the edited commercial back in M100 it looks lovely. But however I export it, the entire film suffers from nasty interlacing artefacts whenever there's significant horizontal motion. Interestingly this occurs for both the straight and After Effects shots.
I should point out that the After Effects shots were used with the Separate Fields setting turned off in the Interpret Footage window."

The question is how you watch the clips. Everything that is interlaced will look fine on a video monitor (as long as the field order is correct) but will look bad on a computer screen, since it is displayed progressive there.
If you render an interlaced image through AE interpreted as straight and you don

Return to posts index

Tugs M. MacCow
on Aug 1, 2006 at 1:57:11 pm

Thanks very much for your (as ever) quick and comprehensive reply. Don't you ever sleep?

A question. You said that footage should be interpreted in AE as top field first. Yet in the de-interlacing tutorial (De-Interlacing the Cow), Barend states that DV footage is lower field dominant. Which of you is correct?

Another headache which you may or may not have insight into. I've tried rendering a test in AE with field rendering off as you've suggested and when I try to encode it in BitVice, as soon as I've specified the source file (i.e. even before I hit the Encode button), BitVice crahses. I've never had problems with BitVice before. Does this ring any bells? Thanks once again.

steve

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Aug 1, 2006 at 2:24:47 pm

[Tugs M. MacCow] "A question. You said that footage should be interpreted in AE as top field first. Yet in the de-interlacing tutorial (De-Interlacing the Cow), Barend states that DV footage is lower field dominant. Which of you is correct?"

Both. Native DV PAL footage is lower field first, PAL Media 100 files are upper field first (and do get interpreted correctly in AE automatically)

[Tugs M. MacCow] "Another headache which you may or may not have insight into. I've tried rendering a test in AE with field rendering off as you've suggested and when I try to encode it in BitVice, as soon as I've specified the source file (i.e. even before I hit the Encode button), BitVice crahses. I've never had problems with BitVice before. Does this ring any bells? Thanks once again."

This should not happen. Maybe a bad render file? I would try rendering again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]