MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

future of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nickelfuture of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 5:26:31 pm

I'm a long time Media 100 user looking to upgrade to HD before the end of the year. I would love to stick with M100, especially now that things looks better with the Boris crew and AJA collaboration. I have no concerns that the sysem would work great. I do have concerns that we will be such a niche group that it will be difficult to find free lance editors to help out. I don't mind have a system that's "unusual" for most as long as it does this job, and this has never been in question. Again, collaboration with clients that have FCP systems and finding editing help are very concerning issues.

I would love to know how many HD systems are currently out there (I see a lot of the same names posting about HD issues), and while it's impossible to know how many SD systems are still in use and, thus, potential customers for the HD system. I don't see many people joining the Media 100 family as new customers - I hope I'm wrong because the product deserves better.

Lastly, any technical reasons that the FCP/AJA systems would be inferior to the M100 HD system?

Sorry for the length. Thanks for any input you feel is helpful.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: future of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 10:54:36 pm

Look a little further down and read this thread. You can have your cake and eat it to.

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=4&postid=85...

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: future of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA
by on Jul 22, 2006 at 12:10:38 am

Yes, unfortunately, I am having delegation problems since I only have Media100i 7.5 for OS9, and all my freelance contacts use FCP.

Ironically, my motivation to upgrade to Media100 HD at some point next year (am too broke atm, I only got M1007.5 'cos it was cheap on ebay), is because it apparently makes life so much easier when interchanging stuff with FCP. In fact, in an ideal world I would have both on the same system, on dual boot.

For now though, I struggle on my own OS9 Media100i SD system, hesitant to delegate work loads to FCP colleagues. =P Pappity Pap.

Andrew,
Swindon, UK.

P.S. When Media100 HD v11 was demonstrated to me at Broadcast Live, I was told you could work in M100 in a number of different codecs, so if you wanted to export to FCP to continue, as long as you chose a compatible codec at the start of the project, there would be no probs.

Return to posts index

NickelRe: future of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA
by on Jul 22, 2006 at 3:18:28 am

Ahh, that is good news. Guess I should have scrolled down the forum a little further.
Question: I'm most impressed with M100 HDs ability to throw nearly any format on the timeline. Is this also possible with FCP and an AJA card?

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

FlohRe: future of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA
by on Jul 22, 2006 at 10:03:49 am

[Nickel] "Question: I'm most impressed with M100 HDs ability to throw nearly any format on the timeline. Is this also possible with FCP and an AJA card?"

Yes and no. You can mix codecs on the timeline in FCP, but not in realtime. So if you throw something other than the selected timeline Codec on the Timeline, FCP has to render it. Thie also limits the use of Alpha channel files in FCP, since many codecs (like DV, DVCPro) don

Return to posts index

NickelRe: future of Media 100 HD vs. FCP and AJA
by on Jul 22, 2006 at 2:54:21 pm

Thanks, Floh, for all of your help in this forum (I see you're the lone moderator now). I have to admit that I'd pretty much decided to go with FCP exclusively, but things are definitely looking brighter for the Media 100 systems. Do you think Boris can can get new customers or is his market pretty much limited to existing M100 people?

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]