MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Need Help Please

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don DulmageNeed Help Please
by on Jul 18, 2006 at 8:04:26 pm

Before I throw my entire system in the trash and switch to FCP I am going to try one more time to get this up and running.

Media 100i ver 8.1.1 running on a G4 Dual 500 1MB Ram, OSX 10.2.8

Old programs are running fine most of the time. But any new work I try to digitize and edit will result in the system freezing up and I get one of the following error messages.

"Some reel time errors occurred where there are no items to render. Check your systems performance."

"Could not play because the video data format is invalid"

"Could not play because the media was recorded with a newer version of Media 100i"

I have done all of the usual repairs such as dumping perferences, verifying permissions and running all the tests with Disk Warrior and Tech Tool Pro 4. Is there anything else I can do, or is the system just to old to repair?

Thanks for you help.

Don

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 18, 2006 at 9:09:21 pm

[Don Dulmage] "Media 100i ver 8.1.1 running on a G4 Dual 500 1MB Ram, OSX 10.2.8"

I hope you mean 1GB of Ram. G4 Dual500 and 1GB Ram is really a low end configuration for running Media 100 on OSX (or running any professional application on OSX).

The main question is where your crashes come from. To me it most likely sounds like a hardware problem; probably related to the Media drives you are digitizing to. What kind of drives and controller do you use? Have you tried the newest firmware and drivers for everything? Have you defragmented your media drive? Have you tried digitizing to your boot drive in a low data rate to see if the problem happens also? Are your Media 100 boards (and storage connection boards) located as suggested in the CPG for your system configuration?

Floh

Return to posts index

Don DulmageRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 18, 2006 at 11:16:01 pm

Flo,

Thanks for the respond. Yes, I ment 1GB, which has seemed to be enough in the past.

I am using a ATTO Express PCI UL3D controller with 5 - Segate 75GB SCSI drives. I updated all the firmware and drivers about a year ago. The drives have all been defraged. I have tried going direct to a internal drive and also to external firewire drives. Nothing is working. In the past I have been able to run a 300KB diret to the firewire drives, but not any more. However, I can run some older shows I have stored on the firewire drives without any problems.

The Media 100board and SCSI card are in the proper slots acording to my VAR.

Slot A - Displey ATY 128 Pd 5046
B - Media 100 - P6000
C - Displey ATY Raeon p 5144
D = SCSI 2 ATT) UL3D

Don

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2006 at 7:54:49 am

Don,

yes, your cards seem to be in the right order. If you have some time to troubleshoot I would suggest removing both the additional graphics card as well as the SCSI card, reset PRAM on startup (press CMD-ALT-P-R until you hear a second startup chime) and run the Media 100 test application after this. If the test passes then open Media 100 and try to digitize on your internal or FireWire drive. If this works I would put back in the additional Graphics card to see if the system still works then.

Return to posts index

BrucemacRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 19, 2006 at 10:04:56 am

Also when you run the M100 test, click on "loop" and retire to bed. Next morning it should show 100 test passes if all is well, and believe me if it passes 100 tests, all is well.

I had a dual 500 on ver 7 and it ran quite fine, but the change to v8 seemed to bog it down somewhat and the change to a dual 1gig g4 sorted this out, you should pick one of these up off ebay (for example item number: 330008831602) for under $300

I have noticed that sometimes as the computers age, the heat transfer grease arround the proccesser hardens and I suspect causes intermittants. get it reseated and new silver heat grease applied.

All the best

Bruce Mc

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 19, 2006 at 1:33:18 pm

Also, what version of Quick Time are you using?

~A.D.

Return to posts index

vpttpaRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 19, 2006 at 6:26:21 pm

I had the same problem you are having now, used media 100 support with no luck, good people though- try this first, put your media files on another drive, I reccomend at least a firewire drive, make sure media 100 reads these files on the time line, if it plays through fine several times the old drive is going bad, if you are still getting these errors try this next step- go to your quicktime folder in your library throw out all media 100 codecs, uninstall media 100 then reinstall media 100, redigitze your files from this project your drivers may have become corrupted. I did this step with the firewire and all was well, however when the files went back on the medea drive the errors came back, used a second scsi card and new cable and still had problems, firewire files worked well, sent medea drive in and it passed all tests good people also-, was about to throw out computer (g-4mirrored doors) but had a job to do switched to sata card and mac gurus raid and it is working well.

Return to posts index

Al J. MarschkeRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 12:39:29 pm

[Floh] "Have you defragmented your media drive?"

Is that really a good idea. Defraging a media drive on a Media 100 video drive can lose everything?

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2006 at 1:18:37 pm

[Al J. Marschke] "Is that really a good idea. Defraging a media drive on a Media 100 video drive can lose everything?"

Um, even rturning on the computer can destroy your hard drives, but it is highly unlikely. If you defrag your media drives with a tool that is developed for the OS you are using there is no reason why defragmenting a drive should do any harm.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2006 at 8:54:23 pm

You can defrag the 844 PC. But last I heard it's a no no to defrag a Mac Media 100. Unless that changed in the newer versions.

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2006 at 10:50:43 pm

[Al J. Marschke] "You can defrag the 844 PC. But last I heard it's a no no to defrag a Mac Media 100."

I never heard that, and I don

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2006 at 11:25:54 pm

M100 tech support told me not to defrag. I did it once and the media 100 could not find any of my media files. I called tech support and they said you should never defrag a Media 100 video drive. That was back when I went to V8. That may have changed by now.
When I got the 844 I was supprised you could defrag and at the training they said it's ok on the 844 but not the Mac Media 100.

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 23, 2006 at 3:42:10 pm

Hopefully you Digitized 720 x 486 video, 48k audio (if the Vincent card does that) as SW doesn

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Need Help Please
by on Jul 23, 2006 at 3:46:20 pm

Sorry about putting the reply here for the question above, don't really know how I did that

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]