MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SW response to faster drives

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hbvideoSW response to faster drives
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 3:15:48 pm

Does SW respond better when it's used with faster drives? i.e. does it play more layers or display more clips with yellow indicator borders vs the red? I'm using it with a G4 dual 500 - Does SW play A LOT more real time when it's on a G5?

I'm hoping to use SW and v11 on a shared fibre storage like Rorke Qubex - wondering if the Qubex is overkill for SD unless it improves SW and v11 performance.

Any help is appreciated.

HB

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: SW response to faster drives
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 4:44:43 pm

I would expect you'd see a significant difference between SW on a g5 vs a g4 (espcially a dual 500, i recall m100 suggesting a minimum of a 1.42 g4).

I'll bet drives would also help, but that will depend on what type of media you're working with.

if you're doing DV data rates (150kb-ish, ntsc) then I'd be you see a few layers out of even FW drives, but if you're using a dual 500 g4, that may not be fast enough to play more than the A/B track regardless of what type of drives you've connected.
~A.D.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: SW response to faster drives
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 6:04:40 pm

The faster computer and drives you use will make a difference. Also, more RAM will make a difference with performance. You will see better performance playing back uncompressed media than from compressed media. This is because we need more CPU to perform the decompression step. Umcompressed media does not need to do this, of course.

HTH,

Dave

Return to posts index

hbvideoRe: SW response to faster drives
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 8:01:13 pm

Actually, with SW, I get yellow borders on .movs several layers up so, they move but not quite real time. It's a G4 500 1GB RAM with Lacie FW and a Rorke Maxarray LVD 144GB striped across all 4 drives. I'm getting away with 120kb ntsc for 30 second spots. M100i for I/O... All this for better ease of use vs using FCP

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2006 at 1:35:57 pm

I don't think v11 or SW has a capablity to check the processor speed and compare that against what's on the time line in determing what it can play in real time.

The yellow bars simply indicate what, in an ideal world, the appliation *should* be able to play back in real time.

I think you could stack 20 layers of 10 bit uncompressed video, each at 50% opacity and all twenty will present that yellow bar, because the application *can* do opacity changes in real time (it just can't play all 20 at once).

So in this case, a G5 would present better real world performance than a dual 500 G4, both would probably still drop frames.

Return to posts index

InfomercialKingRe: SW response to faster drives
by on Jul 17, 2006 at 1:45:17 pm

I don't disagree with you, BUT, I wasn't talking about the computers. All I stated was that the FirmTek solution is the FASTEST data transfer rate that can be achieved for uncompressed for HARD DRIVE STORAGE. No other RAID system is faster, not even close. In addition, it costs $1,000 for 2,000 gigs of removable storage.

It works with BOTh G4's and G5's.

The Infomercial King

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2006 at 2:27:36 pm

Mr. SerGio,

I'm sorry, i wasn't trying to comment on your drive recomendations. I was commenting on why hbvideo was still seeing yellow bars, but getting dropped frames, but thanks for the info on those drives, I'll have to look into them.

best,
~A.D.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2006 at 2:31:39 pm

But what drive system are you using?

Are you using FirmTek?

They released a special board and new enclosure to work only with the G5 which is now the only one recommended for the G5.

I have digitized video, 10-bit and 8 bit uncompressed fro decks to the hard drives using Firmtek and never lost a single frame!

If you are having problems with some other RAID system, then you should consider FirmTek?

The Infomercial King

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2006 at 7:52:16 pm

Really,

I just thought that perhaps since FCP has the abillity to look at processor speed and adjust real time playback that SW on a G5 could do so as well. Of course they are different softwares but I think it's the same principle and maybe the velocity engine would be the common key.
Thanks A.D.

HB

Return to posts index

FlohRe: SW response to faster drives
by on Jul 18, 2006 at 8:34:04 am

[Arthur Dent] "I don't think v11 or SW has a capablity to check the processor speed and compare that against what's on the time line in determing what it can play in real time.

The yellow bars simply indicate what, in an ideal world, the appliation *should* be able to play back in real time.
"

The yellow bars indicate Realtime Effects on a clip; the system does not "calculate" the amounts of realtime effects and layers you used vs the CPU speed; so while it is yellow and marked as a realime effect it is not sure it will actually play in realtime.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2006 at 9:12:52 pm

I have a G4 with a FirmTek enclosure that holds four 500 gig SATA-II drives all of which are removable. This sytem is the FASTEST data tranfer rate there is--it blows away Firewire 800. In fact I can write 4 streams of video to one drive without stripping the drive and it writes perfectly--never had a glitch. I have a 1.42g G4.

The Infomercial King

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2006 at 9:46:25 pm

How might one edit with v11 and SW with this Firmtek enclosure and SATA drives as a shared volume by two G5s ?

HB

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2006 at 9:54:04 pm

Hi,

FirmTek has one enclosure for the G5 that will work for you and nothing is fater or cheaper--I tested 20 systems!

Theire website is: http://www.firmtek.com/

Ask for Kim and tell her Bill SerGio sent you!

She is an engineer and knows everything about all the Media100 systems!

The Infomercial King

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]