MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

virtual memory?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohenvirtual memory?
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 9:42:12 pm

Once you get over your laughter at the fact that I have a G3 running OS 9 with Media 100i 7.5, let me know if virtual memory should be used.
Sometimes the desktop refreshes slowly if I hide Media 100 to do something else.
Did not used to do this and has always been a very stable system.

Mike Cohen

PS - Do newer projects on Premiere Pro, but the Media 100, old as it is, is a reliable workhorse for cuts and dissolves.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: virtual memory?
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 10:41:42 pm

Hi Mike,

You'd be suprised how many v7.51 Media 100's are still out there!

Anyway, as far as I remember virtual memory was always a big no-no for media 100, so it should be left switched off. That said, cram that G3 with as much ram as you can and it should sort that issue you mention out.

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: virtual memory?
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 1:43:30 pm

I once in a while tell people, "In the time I have been running my G3 every day, cranking out product, I have changed my PC 4 times."

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: virtual memory?
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 6:56:55 pm

Mike, I am certainly not laughing. My G3 with version 7.03 was the most stable and easy to use set up I ever had.

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: virtual memory?
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 1:56:33 pm

I'm with the rest of these folks. I like many things about the upgrade to the G5 (primarily the massive memory and storage increase I made at the same time), but the G3 setup was rock solid. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the present configuration - there are days it wants to act like a PC (reboot, reboot, reboot.)

If it ain't broke, don't open the tool box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved