floh buying new M100 HD & FCP

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
floh buying new M100 HD & FCP
by
on Jul 3, 2006 at 3:17:12 pm

Floh,

Thanks for your comments on the thread below. Are you saying that If I bought Media 100 HDe and FCP Universal, I'd be able to edit on both platforms on one G5? If so this is HUGE! I don't think I would have any doubt as to which system to purchase. How caan I confirm that this would work?

Greg

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: floh buying new M100 HD & FCP
by
on Jul 3, 2006 at 4:34:09 pm

[Greg] "Are you saying that If I bought Media 100 HDe and FCP Universal, I'd be able to edit on both platforms on one G5? If so this is HUGE!"

The point is that it is very likely that there is no hardware difference between the Media 100 "OEM" boards and the Aja Kona boards, especially since Media 100 did a press release when announcing the new product line that mentioned the Kona products several times. As far as I understand this was pulled because the Kona brand is somewhat related to Apple. What I think will be possible is to have a dual-boot configuration, where you either can boot using the Aja Kona drivers or using the Media 100 drivers if you buy your board from Media 100. But as long as Media 100 has not shipped the first new systems and nobody really tried it there probably is no way to 100% confirm this. So while it is very likely to run FCP on a Media 100 OEM system it is not possible to run Media 100 on a Kona board, since the V11 encryption code will be related to a board serial as it also is with the P6000 boards and V8.

Return to posts index

edunwody
on Jul 4, 2006 at 3:13:18 pm

[Floh] "What I think will be possible is to have a dual-boot configuration"

Can you explain further the work flow with that configuration.

Elliott

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jul 4, 2006 at 10:02:34 pm

Hi Elliot,

The issue is that the drivers for the AJA card are different for Media 100 and FCP. They conflict if the two drivers are installed at the same time.

The easiest solution is to have a dual boot system. i.e. either two hard drives or two partitions on one hardrive with the (same) OS installed on both discs. In one you install the FCP 'Kona' drivers, in the other the Media 100 ones. If you want to use FCP, you boot the mac into the OS version with the FCP drivers by choosing the start-up disc in the preferences, or for media 100 the other.

Other (untested) options have been suggested including a script to swap the drivers over by parking one on the desktop, (much like the scripts used to swap the Media 100 codec component) after which you reboot. This would allow one single OS installation which might be simpler to manage, especially with updates etc.

Either way you won't be able to use Media 100 and then launch FCP (or vice versa) without rebooting in between.

Hope that helps

K

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Jul 4, 2006 at 10:50:31 pm

So if I buy a mac G5 Quad I would need to buy a second hard drive for the Mac, and that would work? Is this a definite? Or is this just speculation at this point? Again this would make a hige difference in my buying decision media 100HDe versus FCP.

Is Media 100 testing this? When where there be a definitive answer?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jul 4, 2006 at 11:44:37 pm

Hi Greg,

With regards to the G5, yes. You could either buy a second (SATA) internal HD or partition the one it comes with.

As for the other questions. Yes unfortunately this is all speculation at the moment.

I am reliably informed that FCP has been made to run on the Beta version of Media 100 V11-AJA as a proof of concept, but the thing is the Beta version ran on standard off-the-shelf Kona hardware, not the OEM hardware that the retail version ships with.

From looking at the hardware specs on AJA's website it does appear that the OEM HDe card is the same as the Kona LHe retail system for FCP, but until someone actually gets their hands on one to test we won't know for sure. There are any number of reasons why the shipping systems wouldn't be able to run FCP, from BIOS, to encryption codes, to just plain can't. Again until someone gets one and tries it, we just don't know.

Media 100 isn't testing this configuration. Even if they were it would be unlikely that they could publicly endorse it, or even acknowledge the possibility. Chances are their agreements with AJA would forbid it.

However there are many other people who have a keen interest in finding out one way or another whether this is a practical possibility and it is to them we look for firm answers.

When will we find out ? Soon. The new systems are hitting the streets as we speak. Keep watching the cow, when the news breaks, it'll break here first!

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]