MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Where are the audio filters?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsWhere are the audio filters?
by on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:29:35 pm

I am editing some old vhs tapes and this one section has a hum in it. I have read the manual and think the Hum Cut Filter is what I want. Where are the filters located and how do you apply them?

Media 100iXR 8.2.2

jerome

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Where are the audio filters?
by on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:36:23 pm

Select your audio clip in the timeline or in the bin and Press "CMD-5" to open the Audio Effects window. There you have various audio filters; to remove a hum you should probably try the EQ section.

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: Where are the audio filters?
by on Jun 29, 2006 at 5:28:12 am

NTSC In the Audio Effects I selected 60Hz Cut2
I left Hi and Mid on Notch and set Lo EQ on Hum Cut
the selected audio track turns magenta but I do not hear anything different. the hum is still there.

Any suggestions?

jerome

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Where are the audio filters?
by on Jun 29, 2006 at 8:23:07 pm

Hi Jerome,

Assuming that the effect is being applied to both the audio channels of the clip, and that "bypass" isn't activated, the remaining hum could either be because of a harmonic of the 60hz hum, or that the hum you are hearing isn't mains (60hz) in nature.

The best way I find is to set a single filter to "notch", give it the widest possible width and then whilst playing the clip slide the frequency up and down. You'll hear the affect of the filter in real time, so you should be able to zero in on the offending frequency.

Once you've found it you can then narrow the notch to filter out the hum but leave other nearby frequencies (that might be part of say speech) less affected.

You may need to use another notch to catch a harmonic if one is present.

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]